Options

General Questions

pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
Well i've been reading some papers and i have some question, plz be gentle :P

Every question is about 6500 switch.

1. Why should i use SLB ?
2. Why we put hsrp in vlan interfaces ?
3. What are the benefits of configuring etherchannel ?
4. How is there vlan communication between 6500 switches without the need for router.

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    pr3d4t0r wrote:
    1. Why should i use SLB ?
    2. Why we put hsrp in vlan interfaces ?
    3. What are the benefits of configuring etherchannel ?
    4. How is there vlan communication between 6500 switches without the need for router.
    1. Redundancy and load balancing.
    2. Rudundancy.
    3. Increased bandwidth and redundancy.
    4. Trunks let switches share multiple VLANs. VTP lets switches communicate information about VLANs over trunks. 6500s can have a router module in them, and the switch can trunk to the router.
  • Options
    i have a configuration of a switch that i took for studying and it has configured.

SLB-HSRP ON VLAN IFs-ETHERCHANNEL-UDLD,VLANS and other i don't understand...

There is no vtp domain configured, but the 2 switches can communicate. how is that possible ?
  • Options
    Both switches probably have a router module in them. They probably also share VLAN 1 as a management VLAN and have addresses on a common subnet for that. You said they have etherchannel, and that means they are connected. The etherchannel is probably a trunk, too.

UDLD is used to check if a link is unidirectional. If a link becomes unidirectional, STP can't work correctly.
  • Options
    interface vlan 1 has no ip address, only vlan 2 and 3 that r using HSRP, y is that ?

Yes etherchannel ports r in trunk mode also. But what is the default gateway for the machines? Whitch interface implement routing ?

Thanx a lot man.
  • Options
    pr3d4t0r wrote:
    interface vlan 1 has no ip address, only vlan 2 and 3 that r using HSRP, y is that ?

Yes etherchannel ports r in trunk mode also. But what is the default gateway for the machines? Whitch interface implement routing ?

Thanx a lot man.
    You could get to the switches via any valid IP addresses configured on them.

HSRP is the pseudo-router address that provides redundancy on a network. The routers are configured with different addresses, and one router responds to the HSRP address. If that router quits responding, a different router will start responding. Of course, this is a simplistic view of HSRP.

6500s may or may not be configured with a default gateway depending on the mode they are running. Running in hybrid mode, there will be an SC0 interface and an ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which is the default route. In native mode, the 6500 is a router/switch.

VLAN 1 must exist on a switch, but it doesn't have to be used.