Options

Exchange & DNS book recommendations

Can anyone recommend any books or websites that assume you know nothing of exchange? I've worked with exchange a little, but in fully set up environments. I want to learn the very basics such as configuring DNS to get it properly working.

This may even require books on DNS, during my studies and work I've never had to dive very deep into DNS, I understand configuring of the MX records and such to point to the mail server, but what of nameservers when configuring a domain controller. I'm working with my domain host and they're informing me that if I want to host my own mail, I'll have to configure the name servers for the domain as well, but there is a whole plethora of crap i need to configure to get it to work.

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The need for DNS isn't so much for Exchange directly, but rather for active directory to work properly for Exchange to work properly, since Exchange integrates with AD heavily.

For DNS, try exams 291 and 293.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Your isp can set the nameservers to point mail.yourdomain.com to you.

you just need to create a mail record in your dns... seriously dns takes about 2 minutes to fully set up. Don't sweat it, just follow the wizard.

You'll also want to set up DHCP at the same time... I have less issues that way.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?