Options

Router to extend the wireless network.. possible??

miclchmiclch Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a wireless network connection. However, one of my computer does not have wireless connection, but it has LAN capabilities. Also, I have a router. Would it be possible to have the router working as a wireless connector that gives internet access through my LAN to my computer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    miclch wrote:
    I have a wireless network connection. However, one of my computer does not have wireless connection, but it has LAN capabilities. Also, I have a router. Would it be possible to have the router working as a wireless connector that gives internet access through my LAN to my computer. Thanks in advance.

And if your computer has LAN capabilities why dont u buy a wireless card ??
    :study:
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, that would be much simpler. But sure, it's possible.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Explain the wireless connection. How is the WAP getting its connection? Do you own the WAP, or someone else does as an added benefit to the location?
  • Options
    yes, i own the WAP.. i would like to use a wireless adapter, but, my computer is just too old to invest in it anymore. i read about uploading firmwares into my router, which is DI-524. But, i could not find any repeater mode of the firmware.

Any more ideas? Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    miclch wrote:
    Any more ideas?
    A wireless bridge. Linksys and D-Link sell them. I think they can be had for around $100, and they connect wireless to ethernet. I have one for a printer.
  • Options
    If you own the WAP, you have access to the LAN to the WAP. Why don't you put in a switch?
    Or is this a wireless broadband router that doesn't have a switch built into it?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Connect your non-wireless computer to one of the switch ports on your DI-524. It will then be able to communicate with all other wireless devices on the same subnet and also have Internet access. Make sure you update the firmware in the DI-524, and enable the use of WPA security for the wireless clients.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice. i tried connecting my non-wireless computer to my router. but, this is not the router with the internet access. how do i use my router as a wireless adapter? i have upgrade the firmware..
  • Options
    Connect your wireless access point to the router that has Internet connectivity. You could also move the Internet connection form the router to the access point.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would just get a wireless bridge ...
  • Options
    Again I ask, how is the WAP obtaining internet acces that it provides? I am sure it is over a wire. Put a switch/router there, unless the WAP is a combo modem/wireless router with no wire swichports.
  • Options
    You plug your DSL modem or cable mode into the WAP's WAN or Internet port to give your wireless clients Internet access. You then connect your router to a switch port WAP to give those clients Internet access. Finally, you connect your PC to a switch port on the WAP to give it both Internet access and connectivity to all of the other wired and wireless clients. You also need to configure all the devices on the same side of the router to be on the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.0/24) so they can communicate with each other.
  • Options
    It sounds like his broadband router is wireless without a built-in wired switchport, but he isn't specifically stating this.
  • Options
    sorry for the slow reply. doesn't have much internet connection. i found my limitation on my router and i decided to wire it.
    basically, i was trying to use my router as wireless adapter. i have two router, 1 with an internet connection, the other without. So, I wanted to use the other one as wireless adapter, without a wired cable.
    I also found the word for the special router, it's called a repeater.
    anyway, thanks for all the advice..
  • Options
    A repeater is not a router. It can't move packets from one network to another.

An AP could be arguably considered a repeater. It translates the wired ethernet medium to the wireless medium, but both media are still the same network.

Now some APs are combined with router functions, and even include firewall functions. You see these alot to allow a single broadband connection with one assigned IP to be shared among multiple PCs. Most of those also include wired connections for the LAN side, though I am sure there may be specialized ones that only have the wireless connection and no wire ethernet ports. You'll probably see these distributed by ISPs and may have the broadband modem also bundled in the box.