Options

Don't Get It I/O Address

wanspawnwanspawn Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know this was posted before but I still do not understand the I/O Address Assignments. I do get Hex and binary.

How do you know that 1F0-1F8 belongs to the hard disk controller?

Comments

• Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone needs to know all the IO addresses if they hope to operate a PC...well not really.

Actually I've worked on many Computers and IO addresses are mostly academic and I woulds suspect that you would find very few questions about it other than maybe the IO address of the serial ports or LPT port. Windows takes care of everything, infact if you wanted to change an IO in windows you would have to install a non ACPI HAL to allow you to change the automatic configurations which means having to reinstall windows.

I'm not hardware textpert but only time IO addresses come into play is when troubleshooting old dinosaur hardware and OSs when trying to upgrade computers ready for the land fill.

Once in Linux I had to change the IO address of a sound card to make it work when I had a non plug and play NIC.

Don't worry about IO addresses because you don't need to know them and if you did for some reason just look in a book or online.

I'm sure this doesn't help but I have nothing better to do and I'm sure I've made a mistake here and will be corrected shortly.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ahhh nethersdenizen - you do need to know I/Os - what they are, how they work and even what a few of them are. There are still millions of machines out there that you will come across issues. In fact I even ran across an I/O issue on a P4 running W2K a few months back.

The ones to remember for the exam are ummmm ?????

Haven't my study book handy, but from memory ..
    COM1 3F8
    COM2 2F8
    LPT1 378
    LPT2 278
    (prolly a couple more)

The thing to remember is that all devices have I/O addresses and all devices use more than 1 I/O address.

Oh yeah, no 2 devices can have the same I/O address icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I seem to remeber something about serial ports and printer ports as ones to know, however I wouldn't worry the others.