Options

Start a new job on 14 August, still no contract yet?

yauseryauser Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I am going to start a new job on 14 Aug. I had an interview on 13 july, and the next day (14 july) they told me that I got the job and that I will be starting 9am - 6pm on 14 august.

Being overjoyed on the phone, she mentions not to worry about the contact and just come in on 14 August.

Now its been over two weeks and theres no contract through the post nor a letter confirming the job even though this is a very big company. She gave me a number to ring if theres any questions wanting answering.

Now what do I do, I am paranoid, I have quit my job and currently enjoying a brief little holiday before commencing my new employment.

Do I give her a ring and ask her about the contract? I dont want to sound to over-reactive. OR will I sign a contract on the day, and also hand over, bank details, referees details etc on the day too?

Very unsure.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, since you already quit your other job without a contract for the new one, your options are limited. Not much choice except to sit back and enjoy your holiday. The only other option is to call them and if there is a problem all you gain is a 2 week head start looking for a new job.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Lesson learned man, I am sure you know what I am going to say :D
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    the job is for a number of posts, so theres more than 1 as their are recuiting heavily. The person is away at the moment but left messages to ring another person. Going to ring that person tomorrow.

Still paranoid thou.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I don't think you should worry. I was in a similar situation three years ago, the employer offered the job on the phone and I asked for a written offer as I too needed to quit my existing job, she said "it's verbal".

So you honored the verbal agreement that you got the job and accordingly quit your job.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I wouldn't worry if I were you. You were already told that you got the job and not to worry about anything.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    ok thanks for the replies. Think I'll give them a ring. might do this next week.
  • Options
    called up now, contracts in the post, they def got me encilled in for 14th.
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    I worked on a contract for 18 months without signing a contract! No problems whatsoever. A little shakey starting off, but it was a decent opportunity which landed me full time work with the company I was contracted to.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    It sounds like there wasnt much to worry about, since you said that its a big company, I dont think they will screw people over like that.

Sounds interesting though, was it because of backlog over in HR? Or they figured the contract was formality?

nevertheless, I think it's like always best to go with one's best judgement...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    not too sure, they said the contracts are normally sent about a week before, but knowing them there possibly be some backlog. Any way def starting on 14th.

Think I was a bit too paranoid, but wanted just to make sure.