Options

What is the best processor?

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
For any kind of desktop and any kind of application running on a desktop- hands down AMD.

For servers - XEON. I have never used a AMD chip in a server, if they are anything like the desktops, they would be excellent.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I've always been an AMD person, because they were cheap. I currently run a P4 in my main system, at the time, there was no comparable AMD chip, and I got a really good price on it. My next chip will probably be an AMD, even with the new duo-core Intel chips. I'm waiting for more 64 bit support to upgrade, because right now, my system is fast enough, and no matter what you buy today, tomorrow it's outdated already.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I've always been an AMD person, because they were cheap. I currently run a P4 in my main system, at the time, there was no comparable AMD chip, and I got a really good price on it. My next chip will probably be an AMD, even with the new duo-core Intel chips. I'm waiting for more 64 bit support to upgrade, because right now, my system is fast enough, and no matter what you buy today, tomorrow it's outdated already.....

Cool, I have an AMD 1.5 that I built in 01' it still runs better than some new Dell's I have used. It has RAID striping on an MSI board, I love it. Alot of the new computers market stuff to the consumer that they are familiar with only ie- RAM, HD and speed. Those PC's however lack the sometimes forgetable features that do make the difference like cache, HD speed, Bus speeds, type of RAM and latency, what kind of CPU it is. The CPU can be rated fast but a celeron regardless of speed is unbearable to use. I really think AMD kills pentium.
  • Options
    JodiuhJodiuh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a former/recovering hardware junkie, I'd have to say anything dual core. Had a couple Opteron 165/170's that ran much more smoothly than my P4 630. Tho I haven't tried the Intel D's, I can't see how they could best the cooler running AMD DC's...that was before the lovely Allendale/Conroe extravagansa began tho.

I'm back on the P4, but the hyper threading tech just can't quite cut the mustard anymore. Dare I say I'm actually waiting for a decent mobo with some sh!t h0t NB volts on it! Come to me e6300...come to me. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd have to agree with the general concensus, here. I've always been an AMD fan, even before they began really sticking it to Intel. The only reason I run a P4 at the moment, is because my old AMD finally gave up, after far too many years of running, and I got the P4 chip, the board, the RAM, and even a new HDD for free. My next purchased chip will be an AMD. (Hell, even Sun is moving over to AMD, these days, as evident by last year's Linux World Conference, where the new blade servers ran Opterons, sporting some pretty heavy memory. Considering that Sun makes their own chips, that's no small sign of what's to come.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    My AMD Sempron never leave's me alone.

I think AMD are quite good , for user's like me :)
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I have expereicne with (in some cases own) these processors, and I would say that:

Intel P4 S423 => AMD Athlon / Athlon XP
    Intel P4 S478 => AMD Athlon XP
    Intel P4 S478 <= AMD Athlon 64 (either S754 or S939)
    Intel P4 S775 == AMD Athlon 64 S939

Intel P4 mobile <= AMD Athlon XP mobile
    Intel Pentium M(400FSB) => AMD Sempron Mobile
    Intel Pentium M(400FSB) == AMD Turion 64
    Intel Pentium M(533FSB) => AMD Turion 64

Cheers,
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    marc1234marc1234 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would ask what are you using the computer for?

if your just playing games then an AMD 64

if your going to be making compressing and lot of files like MP3 MP4 RAR etc then Pentium D. Also the pentiums are great multi-tasking if your going to be running a bunch of apps.

Their is an artile i read on toms hardware where the took an intel pentium D 805 and got it running 4 ghz. it's dual core 64-bit and runs at 2.6ghz but a buddy of mine build a 500 buck system and has each core running at 3.6 with the stock heat sink.

it all depends on your needs and of course your budget
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    marcread wrote:
    it's dual core 64-bit and runs at 2.6ghz but a buddy of mine build a 500 buck system and has each core running at 3.6 with the stock heat sink.
    Uh, at what temp is the CPU running? 75C? icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    marcread wrote:
    it's dual core 64-bit and runs at 2.6ghz but a buddy of mine build a 500 buck system and has each core running at 3.6 with the stock heat sink.
    Uh, at what temp is the CPU running? 75C? icon_eek.gif

I havent read the article before....nor have I used the PD 805...but if its similar to the older P4 506 @ 2.66 /533FSB

those CPUs actually can run in 800FSB by default with certain chipsets....SIS and ATI will do it from what I remember...

the CPU temp. wouldnt necessarily go up that much because the multiplier is unchanged, and there isnt additional voltage, thus the stock cooler is good enough. The power supply however probably had to be decent, as it needs the additional current on the voltage rails.
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    I agree and disagree... I really think it depends on the Operating System in use, the application(s)/program(s) and/or game(s), the various other internal hardware and naturally what the machine is going to be used for. All of these variables will determine the best processor for the particular situation. You also need to keep in mind that every processor (and everything else for that matter) ever made will have it's good points and bad points.

I'm really getting annoyed with people who don't put any thought into a situation and merely suggest this part or this brand because of their "fan boy" non-sense, without actually having any idea if this part or this brand will actually be the truly "best" option...

- Joey
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:
    I'm really getting annoyed with people who don't put any thought into a situation and merely suggest this part or this brand because of their "fan boy" non-sense, without actually having any idea if this part or this brand will actually be the truly "best" option...

- Joey

Oh c'mon, that's not a very fair comment. This thread is totally for fun anyway. Why be all uptight and personal about it?

Besides, there's a reason why this is the off-topic board...
    dont make references to personal put-downs...I dont think that's very nice or proper of you!
  • Options
    Oh c'mon, that's not a very fair comment. This thread is totally for fun anyway. Why be all uptight and personal about it?

Besides, there's a reason why this is the off-topic board...
    dont make references to personal put-downs...I dont think that's very nice or proper of you!

Slow down there. If you read my post, I did not refer to any single person, any post, any comment or any other form of indentifying detail. In fact, I really can't find any remark in this thread or anywhere else on this forum that I have a problem with.

- Joey
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:
    Slow down there. If you read my post, I did not refer to any single person, any post, any comment or any other form of indentifying detail. In fact, I really can't find any remark in this thread or anywhere else on this forum that I have a problem with.

- Joey

alright....you're right, you didnt say anything explictly. I apologize. I was thinking you were making an indirect untargetted remark.

Cheers!
  • Options
    alright....you're right, you didnt say anything explictly. I apologize. I was thinking you were making an indirect untargetted remark.

Not towards anyone here. I think my statement was more aimed at people I described in the statement itself. I'm a member of several tech forums and I see this on a daily basis. I've always tried to stay out of the conversations when it comes to "what's best" as I rarely encounter people who actually think about the question, instead of relying on their "fan boy" tendencies...

As for TechExams, I think any good technician should rely on knowledge, rather then using this part or this brand merely because they like it...

Personally, I use whatever part is best for the situation, regardless of the brand. I use what works. My rigs are outdated by current standards, but they can handle everything I throw at them. Same goes for anything else in life, I'm not a person who has loyalty to any particular brand or part just because I like it...

Does that make sense? LOL

- Joey
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:

Not towards anyone here. I think my statement was more aimed at people I described in the statement itself. I'm a member of several tech forums and I see this on a daily basis. I've always tried to stay out of the conversations when it comes to "what's best" as I rarely encounter people who actually think about the question, instead of relying on their "fan boy" tendencies...

As for TechExams, I think any good technician should rely on knowledge, rather then using this part or this brand merely because they like it...

Personally, I use whatever part is best for the situation, regardless of the brand. I use what works. My rigs are outdated by current standards, but they can handle everything I throw at them. Same goes for anything else in life, I'm not a person who has loyalty to any particular brand or part just because I like it...

Does that make sense? LOL

- Joey

Just forget about it, no need to comment as broad as you did in a forum where it is just for fun. Everyone that posted in this forum "thought about the question" and commented accordingly. icon_wink.gif

Anyways- I use the part that I feel is best for the job also. I prefer AMD and have had best luck with AMD with the exception of servers where I use XEON. I clearly made my mind up when I built a ton of PCs for high level CAD and they ran AMD. The ones that had P4’s in them ran slower and had noticeable hang ups.

I also think that you cannot soley judge a processor until you see what else is under the hood ie HD speed, FSB, RAM Speed, ect....