Options

Crazy question, but just curious

Mr BigMr Big Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there any way for an interface on a router to look at two seperate networks without having to set up a VLAN?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IP address -- secondary
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

Some routing protocols may complain about updates on the wrong subnet...

... and there could be split horizon issues.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ciscosciscos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what about subintefaces?
    can't teach an old dog new tricks
  • Options
    Mr BigMr Big Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Subinterfaces require you to configure VLANs.

Thanks! The secondary worked! Now for all three networks to talk do I need to set up a routing protocol? Because I am able to ping different IP's in different networks fine. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mr Big wrote:
    Now for all three networks to talk do I need to set up a routing protocol? Because I am able to ping different IP's in different networks fine.
    Do the networks need to talk to each other? If the default gateways are set on the hosts on the networks, they should send the off-net traffic to the router. If IP routing is enabled on the router, then the networks should be able to talk to each other. Check the routing table with the show ip route command.

If there are other networks available through the router (or other routers on those networks), then you have the options of a default route, static routes, or running a routing protocol -- depends what you have and what you want to accomplish.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for routing protocol setup: You can overtake split horizont issues if you'll use some link state protocol.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If one has only one router, then that router will know about all networks that are directly attached and can route between them without a routing protocol or even a default gateway.

It is usually when you have 2 or more routers that you need a routing table, either statically built or using a dynamic protocol, as each router needs to know about the network(s) on the other side of the other router(s).