Options

Question->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you are currently hired and are searching for new employment..

When you go to the interview on the application it will say "Can we contact your current employer"

The answer is no because of obvious reasons.. does that hurt you when they are deciding on the position?

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    It may mean "your recent employer". I've never heard a recruiter calling in to get some info on an existing employee. But again this is a stragne world we live in. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    More clarification: they may mean the last employer you worked for AND the assumption is you're not working now.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It hasn't hurt me that I'm aware of.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Binary - I am working now and this has to stay confidential.

Thanks blarg.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Remember too, that unless you specifically permit your present, or past, employer to talk about you, all that a future employer can ask is if you did indeed worked at that business. No employer is allowed, legally, to give an opinion on your personality, work skills, or anything.

I think most interviewers know this and probably ask the question just to see what you will say. They could contact previous employers, but once again, the only thing they can ask is if you worked there and nothing more. So, really, what will they gain? icon_rolleyes.gif

I am on good terms with previous employers and not one of them has ever said that anyone called to ask about me and my other references also told me the same thing, no one had ever contacted them...I did have one company call my sister-in-law to ask what kind of worker I was since I used to work for her husband's company who used to deal with the one I was applying for. But, she was not legally tied to his business (her name wasn't on any official documents), so they could ask her the personal questions without breaking any laws. However, I don't think too many companies waste their time making phone calls to check up on your past, unless you are in for some serious security-type of position, then some background checks would be necessary. icon_cool.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The question is there so that inquiries won't jepardize your current job.
    If you are currently working, and you don't want your employer to know you are looking for new employment, you check 'no'. If your employer knows you are looking, or if it doesn't matter either way, check 'yes'.
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

yes Dan - I am checking "no" for that reason, just wondering if the company I interview for will mind that or look at me differently then someone else because of that.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Probably won't hurt you to answer no, especially if there are other references to use. They may ask why you are looking to leave your current job, to figure out if it is on good or bad terms. It is actually considered good planning to look for a new job before leaving an existing one. To me it shows responsibility and the ability to be proactive.
  • Options
    Dan -

Yes they ask why I am leaving my current job and I am honest w/ them, and they have had no problems with that.

Thanks
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    Remember too, that unless you specifically permit your present, or past, employer to talk about you, all that a future employer can ask is if you did indeed worked at that business. No employer is allowed, legally, to give an opinion on your personality, work skills, or anything.
    That's not strictly true. It is allowed in most states, but current and former employers are reluctant to give the information due to lawsuits. Even though employers win most of the suits (depending on the state, but certainly true in Texas), it costs them time and money that is better spent on the business. It is never illegal to give an opinion if you make sure that it is known that it is an opinion. It is when you state an opinion as fact that you may cross the line to libel, and the best defense to libel is the truth (documentation supporting your position).