Options

Interview today

benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had an interview with a major restaurant chain in Chicago today for a Field Service Tech position. I would be supporting over 30 locations. The main focus would be on the POS systems, which will soon all be WinXP based.

Now, this isnt exactly where I pictured myself to be, but there is a good chance that I would get to do some cross country travel as they open new stores. That would all be paid for of course.

I was wondering if there were any road warriors out there that could advise for or against this type of position. I have done field work before but this is a much, much larger service area. I have a good feeling I will be offered the job as they are hiring 2 new people for the position.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're looking for experience I don't see why you shouldn't take this job if the travel doesn't bother you. You'll get XP and windows networking experience it sounds like.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Traveling can be the best or worse thing for you. It depends on the person and there priorities. I did a little traveling for my old job, traveling to training locations and setting up/maintaining the PCs and routers. It was fun, but I was gone from 9 to 14 days at a pop. After a while it got old, I couldn't rent cars so I couldn't see the towns I was in (except for Vienna, VA, that's a nice town). Plus I had a fiancee at home so it strained our relationship a lot, we actually seperated for a month and I'm sure the traveling attributed to some of the problems.

But I enjoyed it, I hung out with some really cool ppl and made some memories. I'd love to travel again, but once in a while. Unfortunately once you start traveling for a company it becomes an all the time thing. I started out "helping them out", next thing I know I see on my schedule I was due in Orlando with 2 weeks notice.

Good luck though, it's the perfect gig for someone whose single or who has few responsibilities (read: signifigant other who is real needy....) at home.