Options

Request Resume Critique

pwochnick1pwochnick1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would love to get some feedback on my resume. Here is the link:

http://paul.tpt.org/resume

I have it displayed on a website just for critique purposes. Thanks for your help.

*This is the latest version with the helpful suggestions from this forum and others.
Paul Wochnick

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Overall the resume looks appealing :). Although:

1. I would break 'software skills' into two sections: Operating systems and Software Applications.

2. I would ensure that the bullets describing my responsibilites at each job were equal in length. In other words, some bullets are very long while others are not.

IMPORTANT: See if you can list your responsibilites in a consistent order, e.g. list daily system admin tasks and then planning/migration.

3. I would ensure I don't list technologies that are not very common, so to make resume short.

Hope I helped you somehow. Was I tough on you :)
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    The formatting looks a little bit weird. Firefox and IE views looks quite different. How come the columns arent lined up?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    binarysoul wrote:
    Overall the resume looks appealing :). Although:

1. I would break 'software skills' into two sections: Operating systems and Software Applications.

2. I would ensure that the bullets describing my responsibilites at each job were equal in length. In other words, some bullets are very long while others are not.

IMPORTANT: See if you can list your responsibilites in a consistent order, e.g. list daily system admin tasks and then planning/migration.

3. I would ensure I don't list technologies that are not very common, so to make resume short.

Hope I helped you somehow. Was I tough on you :)

Those are all very good points, thank you. I especially liked the point you made on the order of the bullet points.
    Paul Wochnick
  • Options
    The formatting looks a little bit weird. Firefox and IE views looks quite different. How come the columns arent lined up?

When the resume is printed over two pages I thought having the blank column on the second page would make it look weird. The colums might look better, though, lined up on a web page but then have the printable format be different.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Paul Wochnick
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    resume looks fine
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    pwochnick1 wrote:

When the resume is printed over two pages I thought having the blank column on the second page would make it look weird. The colums might look better, though, lined up on a web page but then have the printable format be different.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I see I see...my bad...

good thinking beyond the immediate factors!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, aesthetically the resume is very pleasing. I have to admit my first word was oh nice. But then again, graphics are one of my callings. However, I did find it a bit difficult to read. I read it several times, I believe you have mixed up your tenses in some of the statements, many are fragmented leaving you hanging, lastly some statements are written in a passive voice. Try using active voice, it is more natural sounding and makes the read a little more exciting.
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_actpass.html

Instead of :
    Coordinate backup and disaster recovery of servers. Improve efficiency of backup schedules to maximize protection of data by implementing a disk-to-disk-to-tape strategy. Created tape retention policies and implemented use of off-site tape storage service.

One possible way could be:
    Coordinated server backup and disaster recovery effort. Improved backup efficiency by (# hours) and maximized data protection by implementing a disk-to-disk-to-tape strategy. Authored policy and implemented off-site tape storage to safe guard data.

You have scope in many bullets, now apply the action/benefit to them.

Example of mixed tense.

Research, evaluate, and recommend solutions.

Researched, evaluated and recommended solutions.

I see other things but I don’t want to write your resume. Hope this helps…
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Badger95 wrote:

I see other things but I don’t want to write your resume. Hope this helps…

Thank you for the comments. This helps a lot. I've updated my resume with some of the feedback that has been given:

http://paul.tpt.org/?page_id=157

I still have some more work to do to massage the language but it is coming along.

Thanks again.
    Paul Wochnick
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    :D Good Luck
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Not only good luck, but also better luck icon_lol.gif