Options

Permanent position paying $26/hr or contract-to-hire $35/hr

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
Which one would you accept if both were offered to you at the same time?
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Although it depends, I would probable go with permanent as it's possible once contract is over you will be without job for a while. Also, you will have a peace of mind. $9 is a lot of money, but at the same time the value of permenancy may be higher.
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would ask for more money from the permanent icon_cool.gif

i would also ask how many they have had go permanent on the contract..

contracting is great if you know how to work the hustle icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    consider the cost of the benefits package with the permanent which you may never see contract to hire. Insurance, retirement, tuition reimbursement, stock discounts/options, vacation days, sick days etc. All of that can be substantial and sick/vacation days are normally on you under contract. Your first raise may come as soon as six months after a probation period on the permanent where contract is fixed for the term. All you may get under contract is a handshake while you try not to let the door hit you in the rear on the way out. Remember that perceived needs change over the term of a contract to the good or to the bad. Even mighty Microsoft brought in their contracts and told them to take the next month off without pay even though their contracts were not over. Contracts pay more because the risk is greater.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I agree with keenan. Find out what the hire rate is for past contract employees. If it's a fair number, and they make a practice out of hiring contractors once the term is up, I'd say go for the higher-paid contract position. If things don't feel right with the contract position, go for the permantent one.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    They told me ahead of time that there is no guarantee of going perm, but that contract would allow me to spend a couple months in a dream job. The perm position is not my dream job but it's better than my current gig. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I probably would take the permanent job as well based on what you heard from the contract offer. That's a tough decision with that big of a pay difference icon_eek.gif

Good luck.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Contract to hire.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Being as the contract to hire is your dream job, I think you should give it more consideration than some of the others here are advising.

It really comes down to what you personal/family/financial situation is. It would be easier if you had a spouse under whom you could get medical benefits or if you don't have a large family to support and don't have major medical problems and private insurance would be affordable. If either of those cases were true, you could take the contract job, and put the difference in pay into a bank account and have it there to get you through a potential job search if the contract is not renewed later on.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go for whatever job will give you the best opportunites.

You could be stuck in a permanent job that leads to very little over a long time or you could get a great job on contract which may lead to better opportunites in the long run.

I took a permanent, lower paying job over a contract once just because it was permanent - it was a big mistake. I did the same thing because the permanent job offered me better opportunites - and it paid off.

Get my point?
  • Options
    its really a toss up..

if one is the dream i would say run with it.. in life many of us have dreams but see the possible risk involved and take the safe route..

chasing dreams are exciting and risky.. but when they pay off its well worth it

taking the safe route leaves most of us wondering "what if" and unhappy .. and still no safer (as most of us work in right to work states)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    How long is the contract?

The permenant job yields $54K/year, contract yields $72K/year. Depending on what benefits the perm job gives (and their monetary value), and the term of the contract, the contract may be better.

There's no guarantee with permenant jobs either, though the risk is indeed lower.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    How long is the contract?

The permenant job yields $54K/year, contract yields $72K/year. Depending on what benefits the perm job gives (and their monetary value), and the term of the contract, the contract may be better.

There's no guarantee with permenant jobs either, though the risk is indeed lower.

Money talks, if you are married and have health insurance through your spouse do the 72K/year. If you are single and need insurance take the 54K.
  • Options
    Well, maybe not. That's a $1500/month difference. If you can get health insurance for cheaper than that, even for $500/month, the contract might be better.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Health insurance costs that much?!?
  • Options
    It can be depending on the coverage, health of the person, age, etc for an individual policy.
  • Options
    Unfortunately in the U.S. we spend money on weapons, not people. One illness can bankrupt an entire family. Even the cost of a single mantainance drug can remove the difference in salary no mater how young that you are. Pre-existing conditions could mean that you can not get insurance except through an employer.
  • Options
    The contract is only 2 months. I would be holding the spot for an employee that's on medical leave . Meaning that I'd be out of that job as soon as the employee gets well. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sucks Olajuwon, I would definitely opt for the perm position in this case. At least you know that you are worth that much since they offered you the contract and I guess the best thing to do would be to just keep looking if the pay isn't satisfying in that perm job.
    TheShadow wrote:
    Unfortunately in the U.S. we spend money on weapons, not people. One illness can bankrupt an entire family. Even the cost of a single mantainance drug can remove the difference in salary no mater how young that you are. Pre-existing conditions could mean that you can not get insurance except through an employer.

Oh please icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Olajuwon wrote:
    The contract is only 2 months. I would be holding the spot for an employee that's on medical leave . Meaning that I'd be out of that job as soon as the employee gets well. icon_sad.gif

i would pass on the temp gig with this added info.. if it were a year or more i would say run with it.

queeze the perm for more money stating that you had another offer and wanted to give them a fair chance to counter offer ( if your not in desperate need of a new job) besides they probably got it to spend icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hey guys, I just accepted the contract and I will start in 2 weeks. I am a risk taker. :D It's with a big TV station, that will give me a few good references. They also told me that there is chance that a similar position will be available by the time my contract ends and I would automatically get it.
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Hey guys, I just accepted the contract and I will start in 2 weeks. I am a risk taker. :D It's with a big TV station, that will give me a few good references. They also told me that there is chance that a similar position will be available by the time my contract ends and I would automatically get it.

Im like you, that’s what I would have done, you never know what something will lead to. More importantly, it gets your foot in the door in addition to networking possibilities. The gig I have now is only a 4 month contract, with no possibility of extending, but I took it in the hopes of leading to something else. Now, an opportunity has presented itself because of it.

Good for you! :D
    I hope it works out for you.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    please go with permanent
  • Options
    Olajuwon wrote:

great rewards often come with risks that most refuse to take

icon_thumright.gif now show them what your made of
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I am very excited about the opportunity. I am going to give my 2 weeks notice at my current gig. I am very marketable, I live in NYC, so I will have no problem finding a job after the contract ends and I may even end up staying permanent. :D
  • Options
    The best of luck to you, I am sure it was a tough decision. Now make yourself a promise no matter how it goes "Never look back" what is behind you can't be changed.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good Luck! I know that was a tough decision. I think you'll be happy you traveled the road less taken.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I just graduated college last August and my first job was contract to hire and was guaranteed for only one month. Well...I had no choice for the money it was paying, lack of experience and no certifications at the time except a degree. I took the job...guess what I'm doing...the same thing...well kind of, but under the same contract. NO benefits before, now benefits, no paid time off before, now PTO, and a raise. You are right about getting the position and using it as a reference/experience. Once you are in, do well, shine, and they will not want to let you go. Heck...they might just create another position just keep you :D . Good luck on your new job.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Thanks guys, I am very excited about the opportunity. I am going to give my 2 weeks notice at my current gig. I am very marketable, I live in NYC, so I will have no problem finding a job after the contract ends and I may even end up staying permanent. :D

Nice choice, never turn down more money. Good Luck.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    good luck to you, sounds like a good move. if you did take the perm position at that salary odds are you would be looking soon anyway for another higher paying job. good choice
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.