Options

testout vs cbt nuggets

kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi, would anybody please give me a hint on what's a better video tutorial, cbt nuggets or testout? i already have cbt nuggets, but i saw on the net that testout has lab and exam sims... i also have transcender and virtual pc for a possible virtual lab. no book yet, though.

.. im gathering all the infos that i can get, ill start reviewing by the weekends. icon_eek.gif

tnx a lot!

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I really like both series. I find that they work well together, and really drive home the concepts. I tend to use the CBT Nuggets as my starter, sitting through all the videos over a relatively short period of time. After getting a "preview" of what I'm in for, and trying to understand all the concepts as best I can, I lay out a strategy for studying.

Usually, it involves something along the lines of picking up the CBT Nuggets again, and reviewing topic by topic, as I go along in the TestOut course. So, for example, when doing 70-291, I would watch the four nuggets on DNS, and then work my way though the TestOut section on DNS. After completing the whole TestOut course, (with the aid of the CBT Nuggets,) I'll work with any other material I have, such as the Train Signal videos, Course Academy, any simulators or labs I have set up, and then do a hard-core review with a good reference book.

This, of course, is the ideal situation, for when you have access to this kind of software and materials. If you have to choose, and you're starting out from nothing, I'd say the TestOut is probably a better value. However, in your situation, you've already got the CBT Nuggets, and they are excellent learning tools. It's really a matter of if you have the money, or if you have access to a school or a job that can provide you with the software. If you do have the cash, though, go and pick up the TestOut material. Each, on their own, is well worth the money. And together, they're absolutely indispensible.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anywhere to get discounts on testout? Very pricey!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I don't know about discounts for single-user licenses, but you should definately contact any school or company you're close to and find out if they have purchased the multi-user license of the TestOut software. I was able to get mine from my college professor, thanks to the deals the school gets on software. (This holds true for a lot of other vendors, too. Schools usually get better prices, with some wheeling and dealing.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the insights Slowhand... another question, how do you compare the 3rd edition and 2nd edition of 70-270 sybex book?
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand great idea- I will do that!