Options

GroupWise question

capy_12090capy_12090 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a question about GroupWise. What protocol does the GroupWise client use by default to retrieve email? I assumed it would be POP3 or IMAP but our admin of 8 years insists it is SMTP. I thought SMTP was only used to send mail.

Could someone answer this one? icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    You are absolutely correct, SMTP is only used to send/forward mail, and not to retrieve it from a client.

I'm not that familiar with how the GroupWise system communicates, but a few posts I found on the internet regarding v6.5, say that you can't use a third-party POP3 or IMAP4 client with it, that it is designed to be used with the GroupWise email client only (server port 1677).

There is a web client called GroupWise WebAccess that can be used over the Internet to pull your GroupWise email.

HTH,
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    Thank you for responding. I'll go search for port 1677.
  • Options
    but a few posts I found on the internet regarding v6.5, say that you can't use a third-party POP3 or IMAP4 client with it, that it is designed to be used with the GroupWise email client only (server port 1677).

This part isn't right though, it is possible to set it up with other email clients and ports but Novell recommends you do not use a Microsoft client due to the virus risk. Also, you need to run something on 1677 for the server to be recognized as a GroupWise email server, so you shouldn't use only POP3 or IMAP.

Frustratingly, the Novell documentation I have been reading doesn't say what the protocol used is. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I can answer this. I have been providing support for Groupwise for over 8 years.

Groupwise client natively connects to the post office agent (POA) via a proprietary protocol defaulting on port 1677. Clients can also connect to the postoffice via direct file access, but that has long been discouraged, and GW 6 and above you have to go through a few hoops to get the client to do this.

Now the clients of the later versions can also be POP3 or IMAP4 to retrieve mail, and subsequently would send mail via SMTP since POP3 and IMAP4 are used for server to client transport.

It is also possible for these clients to access an external mailbox using the standard protocols concurrently with accessing the GW mailbox using the native protocol

Normally GWIA would be used on the server side to support the POP3, IMAP4 and SMTP protocols, but I think the later versions of GW can support POP3 and IMAP4 through the POA. I am a bit sketchy on the new features in GW7. The POP3/IMAP4 clients do not need to be GW clients. You can use Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape and a host of others. However, with these protocols, you lose some of the advanced features of Groupwise, such as calendaring, especially with POP3.

But re-reading your original post and to summarize, by default the GW client connects to the GW postoffice via the POA over TCP/IP using a Novell Proprietary protocol on port 1677.
  • Options
    Thanks, Danman.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Glad to be of help.