Options

CCNA Recertify

jjdurrantjjdurrant Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone - newbie here. My name is Justin and I am a current CCNA from the 640-607 days. :)

My CCNA expires in a couple of months. I have been studying the 640-801 for a few months now only to just realize that I could recertify with just the 640-811.. DOH!

I am trying to decide if I should just do the 801, or focus on the material that applies the the 811? I would assume the 811 is easier since the 801 covers the intro exam material as well.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    how does recertification work?

do you get a new certificate? If not, maybe you should wait until yours expires, and then take 801 to get a new certificate, :)
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    not sure.. I would assume you get a new certificate.

I am leaning towards taking the ICND. The problem is all of my materials cover the entire 801 exam. Any suggestions on what topics to focus on?

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Recertification does not yeild a new certificated. The 801 or the 811 would recertify you. The 811 option is certainly the easier one, also have you considered doing a 642 exam (like a CCNP level one) this would also recertify you for another 3 years whilst putting you on your way towards another cert.

Either way good luck
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Really? You don't get a new certitficate? What about the exp date printed on it?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You do get a new certificate with the new expiration date printed on it, at least I did almost three years ago.
  • Options
    tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    Cool

I have decided to focus my studies on the 811 instead of the 801. The topics I am focusing on are as follows:

ISDN
    Subnetting\VLSM
    VLANs
    VTP
    STP
    Frame Relay
    ACLs
    IOS Commands
    Basic Router Setup
    Router Troubleshooting
    Routing Protocols
    NAT

I also bought the ICND Cisco Press book.. and I still have my 801 material to use as a reference.

Think that will be enough to pass? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys!

Justin
  • Options
    Hey guys.. So I started shifting my studies to the ICND thinking that would be the easier route for recertifying.

I have to admit, the ICND seems to cover almost everything the full 801 exam covers with the exception of the OSI model. What other subjects should completley skip from the 801 for the ICND, or should I just shut up and take the 801. :)
  • Options
    wow.. I just realized I had two IDs for this site... LOL Whoops. :)
  • Options
    I would also prefer whatever exam has less Subnetting and ACL questions. :)