Options

Another interesting article...

computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
http://surviveoutsourcing.com/jla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=2

the coming shortage of I.T. technical talnet, its true. Most of my friends are majoring in business. Some even changed their major from Computer Science to other like Biology because of the current situation in I.T.

Do you guys think I.T. will continue to go downhill ? I hold A+, Network+, MCP and a CCNA with half a year of experience and can't seem to find any jobs.

After reading numberous of depressing posts, maybe i really should start thinking about whether to put myself in I.T. in the next few years or not.. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    A shortage of IT talent means increased salaries. It is simple supply and demand, and that is what drove up salaries during the dot.com boom.

I heard from management that the company I work for (which pays well) hasn't been able to fill (for more than a year) over 200 techincal jobs with qualified people.

What will happen is that jobs like programming (which has become a commodity) that don't depend on location will move overseas, but there are still many technical jobs that require an on-site or close-by presence.
  • Options
    so is that suppose to be good or bad for job hunters ?

Programming has already become a joke, you will be laughed at if you are majoring in CS here.

anyway, i need some motivation to get my CCNP done, i just can't seem to concerate on my study because nobody seems to be hiring
  • Options
    Well, it will be hard for someone overseas to configure and rack network equipment here. This should be good news for CCNPs.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    To be honest a year and half is not much experience. Imagine a VP saying that? It just takes time. Did anyone catch the dean saying "IT isn't sexy anymore"? icon_redface.gif I think women pole dancing is sexy, not IT.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    I think women pole dancing is sexy, not IT.
    I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    If IT isn't sexy, then show me a field that is sexy? Those who leave IT risk two thing: First, all years of studying/working in IT is in vain, second they have to start in another field from scratch only to find out years later that their 2nd chosen filed is worse than IT. Then they would have accumulated tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, taken hundreds of anti-depresant pills and inherit a deterioroting health.

Bottom line: If you came to IT just for a job, you've joined the wrong club :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote:
    Quoted for truth.

computerguy are you currently working?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I just interviewed with a company that is buying over 250 enterprise class servers they will be deploying all accross the state. This is all because they are implementing a new software package and replacing an old one. New technology will drive companies putting money into IT. They will see new technology that makes their employees more productive and less prone to mistakes and guess who will implement that software for them??
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    binarysoul wrote:

Sorry, but I just have to second this quotation (or third it... doh... whatever).

Although many programming jobs have gone overseas, I see a ton of jobs that are currently being filled domestically (in the U.S.) by HB-1B Visa holders (mostly from India). These are jobs that supposedly cannot be filled by qualified Americans. And even though they are not necessarily treated as well (the stories I've heard taking them to lunch and working with them), they still make more money than they would in India (even working for the same company).

{Note: I do currently work for a software development company (mostly), not as a developer, but as a professional services consultant... which does h/w and s/w integration. We have fairly permanent job postings for software engineers.}

Entry-level jobs are tougher to come by, and for some of us, the Dot Bomb money will be tough to come by again (it was fun while it lasted though), but continue to enhance your business and technical abilities, and I think finding the right job will come.

Take Care,
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    no i am not in I.T. just for a job, i love working with computers.. i am just pretty desperate to find a job that relates to my skills.

i will have my CCNP soon and move on to CCIE, i do have couple of job offers right now..

sorry guys, i was kinda depressed when i started this post, so i apologize if i confuse anyone.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    no i am not in I.T. just for a job, i love working with computers.. i am just pretty desperate to find a job that relates to my skills.

i will have my CCNP soon and move on to CCIE, i do have couple of job offers right now..

sorry guys, i was kinda depressed when i started this post, so i apologize if i confuse anyone.

I hear you, I've been there, or I should say I'm there now icon_sad.gif I know exactly how it feels. It's unfortunate, but true that the IT field is over-supplied and under-demanded and somehow we have to stand out really well or we won't get jobs.

While we like computers, on the other hand, if it doesn't make us happy careerwise (and paying bills), it makes life depressing. I told one employer very directly that if they hire me based on my 'past experience' alone, they're hiring me based on one side of the coin. The other side of coin, I told them was my 'future potentials'. She really liked what I said to her and she said she would seriously consider my application as I had given her a totally different perspective. So somewhat we have to really tell an employer what we believe in and usually it makes a difference.
  • Options
    don't worry tho, things will start to improve in the next couple of years as more and more people leave I.T.

medical career is booming! hurry!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Programming has already become a joke, you will be laughed at if you are majoring in CS here.

A new article today, begs to differ... at least in the Northeast and California:
    Programmers top annual salary gains, survey says
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002449&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Take Care,
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+