Options

LINUX SUCKS!

12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
Just venting. I have been working on a project that my team wants on Linux, and I hate working on Linux. It is freaking pathetic. I have spent about four hours trying to find the default keystore location.... It is just a matter of time before Linux falls by the wayside. A company can either buy MS software or pay me to spend about quadruple the time getting it to run on LINUX. I want to spend time working with the software, not trying to get it installed.

LOL, I get stuff working on Windows and then show the Linux admins how I did it, so they can get it running on Linux. LOLOLOLOL

LINUX SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    which distribution did you use?
    I may like Windows and Microsoft Certificates...but I support LAMP very very much.

LAMP LAMP LAMP LAMP LAMP!!!!!

lol....
    ps. I'm just venting too! Just had a stressful night....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I happen to agree with you. I have spent many years in the Unix environment and in the Windows environment and I will pick the Windows environment anyday, defects included. The only thing that has kept Linux in the foreground is the Anti-Microsoft group that continues to support it because of their hatred for anything Microsoft. :)
  • Options
    I like using windows, but work in an educational environment so any project that comes up the first question is "can it run on linux"? I have a pet project that I would rather run on windows, but have to work with a linux admin to get it to run on linux. It has added about two weeks to the rollout date. I would much rather spend that time learning to administer the software than learning how to install it. Hopefully a job I am going for (all windows) will come through. Got a second interview on wed. They are rolling out over 250 2003 servers in the next year (doubling their current env). It's a major uplift that I would love to be a part of. Huge project.

Anyway, back to banging my head against a prompt and google.

LOL
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    default keystore location

What does that mean?

I don't think Linux sucks as I use both Windows and Linux daily. But I do agree that Linux has its problems, just as Windows does. The only problem I've really encountered on Linux is installing software.

BTW: What distrobution are you using?

- Joey
  • Options
    i created a selfsigned cert with java and i have to point to the location of the cert in a tomcat server.xml file and the only documentation i can find says the default keystore location is ~./keystore, whatever the hell that is. i never understood bash and really don't want to waste my time trying to understand it. i would rather learn more about other things. anyway the default keystore location is where java places created ssl certs if a location is not specified (which i couldn't figure out either).

centos

LOL
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    So having free software, rarely needing to reboot, not having viruses and spyware, being more stable sucks? Since when? Although there is a learning curve associated with running linux. I am going to send my friends to this post to comment on this one LOL.
  • Options
    Everything has a cost. Linux is not free, companies must pay a Linux admin more than a Windows admin and my work pays three admins to maintain the same amount of linux boxes that two windows admins maintain. One thing that bothers me with Linux is the lack of centralized documentation. There are just too many flavors. The documentation is all over the place, windows documentation is all centralized written by professionals. I swear I am going to vommit all over myself if I have to read one more doc where some dork is rambling on about anything but what the installation is about.

Yeah, Linux is not more stable or more secure. It just isn't targeted as much as windows. Apple has prooven this. Our linux boxes have all kinds of problems, and the configs are all over the place, all the windows boxes we have are organized, locked down and overseen with GP. This is a huge advantage over Linux. I watched two Linux admins spend about three days in our serveroom trying to get Centos loaded on an older IBM oneU. They gave up. My work paid two guys like $900 for two days for nothing. In education that is like two copies of Standard Edition.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    default keystore location is ~./keystore

~ = users home directory

./ = use "pwd" and not your $PATH

so im assuming that is either a typo or the file is in the root of the users home directory
  • Options
    keystoreFile="~./keystore"

so this should work?

works perfect in windows (home location)

how the hell do i get to ~? it's like explaining how to get to (. what original linux coder decided to make "~" a location?????????????? this defies all organizational logic. ~ represents nothing. i never understood this.
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    ~ represents nothing. i never understood this.
    It is used to mean approximate, congruent, etc. I have seen it used in many places including this board.
  • Options
    ~./

that syntax will not work. Its possible that is a just some type of shorthand meaning "root of users home directory". If that is the case then just indicating ~ should be the path. Additionally it could be a typo. It may mean to indicate the ~ users home, and the /.filename where the "." indicates a hidden file. It is very common for config files and the like to be denoted as "hidden" so they dont appear with a normal ls command.

so try ~/filename or ~/.filename

Additionally this is linux, you can make the file save anywhere you would like.
  • Options
    yeah sorry i meant ~/.keystore. ah, now i know ls -a shows hidden files. thx. ok, so in a config file how do i point to ~/.keystore? i have tried ~/.keystore, i will try ~/keystore. so ~ means the home of whatever user is logged on??
  • Options
    yeah sorry i meant ~/.keystore. ah, now i know ls -a shows hidden files. thx. ok, so in a config file how do i point to ~/.keystore? i have tried ~/.keystore, i will try ~/keystore. so ~ means the home of whatever user is logged on??

if the files name is ".keystore" and that file is in the user running the programs home directory (\home\username\.keystore) then it would be "~\.keystore"

remember the "." before the filename makes it "hidden" but a "." after the filename does nothing
  • Options
    roger, think i am on to something. the other admin i am working with has tomcat running under another user (not root), i'll move the keystore to that location or create another key under that user's location. thanks for your help, you guys know i love linux, i was just venting. :D:D
  • Options
    Yeah its not a good idea to test things under root. They generally have a different $PATH and not to mention it has complete control over the system.

a little typo as a user and his account might not work
    a little typo as root and the system might not work

anyway good luck
  • Options
    thanks man, thought that would be it, i'll have to dig through tomcat logs tomorrow. thx
  • Options
    GOT IT! Ok, Linux doesn't suck. I just moved the .keystore to the user's home that was running tomcat, removed the keystore location entry (looks there by default) restarted tomcat and oh yeah. Thanks for your help!

Windows sucks, it's for morons!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P

Ok, I am getting crazy now.
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have a beer lol
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Bastille is a nice program used to lock down a system in Linux. Maybe those two guys didn't know what they were doing. I am part of a 2600 group with Linux users that have their systems humming with Linux. Different strokes for different folks but to say Linux sucks is exaggerating. I am not saying windoze sucks but there are advantages to both. Windoze is more user friendly. You don't need to reboot linux everytime you install a new patch. I have seen Linux uptimes that are ridiculous. I am not trying to argue, I run both and I like my Debian linux on my AMD 64 laptop. I run every app that i run in windoze, media player, cd burner , DVD player, and such. I have my web server and file server running nix platforms. Glad you got your problem fixed.
  • Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So having free software, rarely needing to reboot, not having viruses and spyware, being more stable sucks? Since when? Although there is a learning curve associated with running linux. I am going to send my friends to this post to comment on this one LOL.

Funny, my Windows XP machine rarely needs a reboot (unless installing a program requires it), has no viruses and spyware, and has not crashed on me once since I've built it.

Quit thinking of Windows Me, XP isn't this huge buggy crash machine all the rabid anti-MS people like to rant about. Plus, ALL my software installs so easily on it, to boot! :P

I find that most of the time people complain about how "unstable" their XP install is, it's usually due to PEBKAC error icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    XP is fine given the user understands which behavior on the Internet will tend to hose the installation and has the system regularly patch and is running a/v software. I'm still amazed at the morons out there running a naked xp installation with no protection and wondering why their system get so slow after a couple of weeks.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    XP is fine given the user understands which behavior on the Internet will tend to hose the installation and has the system regularly patch and is running a/v software. I'm still amazed at the morons out there running a naked xp installation with no protection and wondering why their system get so slow after a couple of weeks.
    You should be careful about saying things like this. You may be able to be called a moron under other circumstances. The Linux guys might call you a moron because you don't know how to install and configure Linux, Macintosh guys might call you a moron be cause you have to jump through so many hoops to make Windows work, etc.

Those morons you are talking about don't want to have to know things like this about their OS. They are probably trained in something you know little or nothing about. Without them, you may not have a job. Why would I hire you if everyone could do what you do?

Most important, why would I hire you if you think about your customers that way?
  • Options
    Now all I have to do is pin down the usergroupmembership attribute in our LDAP. Man, our LDAP is all over the place. The design was never thought about and three different admins have put their special touch on everything over a six year period. Customized attribute names, etc....

Joy!
    :D
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Saying one particular OS sucks really isn't fair, they all have their place. I much prefer BSD over Linux, but that is just because I started playing with BSD back in '97 and only occasionally try out a Linux distro "just to see". But I know a few "Linux evangelists" locally who are systems administrators and the like who've changed their views on Microsoft's server offereing after seeing a little VM demo running on my laptop showing the power of Active Directory and Group Policy! And the administrative tools are second to none. Likewise, I've made some headway at work here especially with respect to our machines in the DMZ - smoothwall and BIND DNS servers are looking very attractive to the architecture team after a candid discussion regarding the pros and cons. It is not one particular OS which lowers TCO, it's a combination of a knowledgeable staff and a well-implemented solution which lowers TCO.

Okay, fine. MAC OS sucks!
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    mikey_b wrote:
    I much prefer BSD over Linux...

That is BSD with a pretty face.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I was just about to say that. Mac OSX is based of of BSD. Which is why it is such a hardcore OS. My job incorporates MAC/Linux Administration. I started appreciating Linux more through heavy use of Mac. Both interoperate well with open source technology.

Mac's are COOL!!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    BubbaJ wrote:
    mikey_b wrote:

I knew that was coming... I should have said pre-OS X. But deep down, I just plain hate Apple. Must be the one mouse button thing.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    mikey_b wrote:
    BubbaJ wrote:
    mikey_b wrote:

I knew that was coming... I should have said pre-OS X. But deep down, I just plain hate Apple. Must be the one mouse button thing.

Wow I hate to here that. Macs are the wave of the future. You can always get you a 2 button USB mouse. That should cure your pain.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    I think MACs are cool, but it's almost as if people think there are no problems with MAC. I personally saw five G5s come in and three were DOA and had to be sent back. Each person at my work that has a MAC laptop has had to send it back to Apple for repairs *atleast* once. To me that says there are definite hardware issues. I cannot remember the last time we got in a Dell or IBM that needed to be sent back for repairs.... I do love IChat though that is like alien technology compared to all other webcam chat software. :D
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BubbaJ wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    You should be careful about saying things like this. You may be able to be called a moron under other circumstances. The Linux guys might call you a moron because you don't know how to install and configure Linux, Macintosh guys might call you a moron be cause you have to jump through so many hoops to make Windows work, etc.

Those morons you are talking about don't want to have to know things like this about their OS. They are probably trained in something you know little or nothing about. Without them, you may not have a job. Why would I hire you if everyone could do what you do?

Most important, why would I hire you if you think about your customers that way?

Very well said and I most certainly agree with you!!