Options

Craigslist

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
Considering that my experience has been a freelance web design, I am used to clients coming to me... not trying going to the employer. So my question is, how do I address Craigslist postings? Do I create my email as cover letter or do I say something about the attached cover letter and resume?
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    Come on its a simple question. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I usually respond with something like:

"I saw your ad on craigslist.org and I would love to find out more about the position. . . <insert some basic blurb relevant to the position, make it real brief> . . . If the position is still available, I would definately like to touch base with you, as well as send a full resume of my qualifications."

If they respond after that, I'll send my resume. I usually don't put in for a full cover-letter, since it is craigslist they're advertising on. However, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, if it's a job you're really pushing for. I've actually gotten some very good responses from craigslist, so don't be discouraged if you don't get anything, at first.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was always wondering if my emails weren't read because they have an attachment from an unknown person. It seems like a scheme that someone has done with an email spider on craigslist.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    No problem. I had the same thought, though, that my e-mails might get tossed into the spam folder if I included the resume right off the bat. That's the reason I give a "short" e-mail, then, if they respond, I send another with the resume attached.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.