Options

Wireless Home Network Question, please help!

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Right here is the scenario:-

My Sister decided that she was going to invest in a Laptop so that she can surf the net whilst in her room, therefore she is going to purchase a machine with wireless capabilities.

Currently our home network consists of two computers, one in my room and one in our office. Both machines are networked via a Diamond Speedtouch 510 Router with built in HUB. This is all fine but the question is how can I keep the same networking plan and add in this additional wireless laptop device?

I thought of purchasing a wireless hub, but I was unsure whether or not this would work with our current configuration, also what about wireless network security?

Over to you guys, your input is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be able to replace your current router with any wireless router that has a built in switch with no problem. Security configuration setup would be included with the product documentation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Like the other poster said, I would replace it with a wireless router and you would have your switch and router in one. Setup is easy and the security setup isn't to hard either, you have the option of WEP or WPA for security.

Jonathan
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    and you can turn off PING request and your SSID.....make sure you change the default password on the router......
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Are you using the Diamond Speedtouch 510 as your DSL router? If so, you can't replace it with a wireless access point (WAP). Instead, the solution would be to buy a WAP (Linksys, D-link, Belkin, whatever), plug the 510's LAN connection into the WAN port on the WAP, and move the PC's connections from the 510 to the switch ports on the WAP. You will then configure the WAP and wireless laptop with the same LAN network information as used by the PCs. Enable the wireless security features on the WAP (WPA-PSK, MAC filtering, no broadcast SSID, etc.) and the laptop (WPA-PSK).

Also, look in the 510's manual and web site to see if there is a configuration for connecting a WAP/firewall/router appliance to the 510. It may be necessary to configure the 510 to be a gateway rather than a border router when used with a WAP. It looks like there's several differ versions of the 510, so get the correct manual for your 510:

http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/510/st510_guide_en.pdf
    http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/Manuals/R531/ST510v4_UserGuide.pdf
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh... built in DSL modem. OK, then what jdmurray said :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    jd - you DA MAN
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    Are you using the Diamond Speedtouch 510 as your DSL router? If so, you can't replace it with a wireless access point (WAP). Instead, the solution would be to buy a WAP (Linksys, D-link, Belkin, whatever), plug the 510's LAN connection into the WAN port on the WAP, and move the PC's connections from the 510 to the switch ports on the WAP. You will then configure the WAP and wireless laptop with the same LAN network information as used by the PCs. Enable the wireless security features on the WAP (WPA-PSK, MAC filtering, no broadcast SSID, etc.) and the laptop (WPA-PSK).

Also, look in the 510's manual and web site to see if there is a configuration for connecting a WAP/firewall/router appliance to the 510. It may be necessary to configure the 510 to be a gateway rather than a border router when used with a WAP. It looks like there's several differ versions of the 510, so get the correct manual for your 510:

http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/510/st510_guide_en.pdf
    http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/Manuals/R531/ST510v4_UserGuide.pdf

Thanks for the help JD, I currently have a Alcatel Dimond Speedtouch 510 which doesn't appear to support WEP.

Couldn't I just buy a WEP device with a built in hub or switch and plug in my existing wired machines? Then configure the device to accept wireless connections only from a static IP that I will assign to my sister's laptop as well as standard security features that you mentioned?

Something like this maybe?

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_rangemaxnext_wirelessbroadbandrouter_dg834n.php
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That would replace the Diamond, since it has the modem built into it. You would have to check with your ISP if it is compatable and how to configure it.

You could get a wireless broadband router that doesn't have a modem and connect it to your existing broadband router/modem, treating it like a modem only. You can turn off the firewall/nat features of the wireless router, but have it available later if your needs change.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    That would replace the Diamond, since it has the modem built into it. You would have to check with your ISP if it is compatable and how to configure it.

You could get a wireless broadband router that doesn't have a modem and connect it to your existing broadband router/modem, treating it like a modem only. You can turn off the firewall/nat features of the wireless router, but have it available later if your needs change.

So would I be able to put the Netgear Wireless Router in place, configure and go? Does anyone know if the device has standard cat5 ports so that I can plug in the two wired machines?
  • Options
    Another question, the laptop will obviously need a PCMCIA socket for this configuration to work (comes free with a compatible card), but all of the machines around the £500 mark don't have this functionality icon_sad.gif - Can anyone suggest a budget machine suitable for net browsing / listening to music for this price mark?
  • Options
    Did you read the page on the link you provided?

In the overview: 5-in-1: Modem, Router, Firewall, 4-port Switch, Wireless Access Point.

That's how I knew for sure it had the modem built in, which could be cumbersome for you to configure in order to work with your ISP.

You might be better served with http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_wgt624.php
    Don't let the 'cable' bit throw you off. It is a broadband router without the modem: no cable modem, no DSL modem. You would use your existing modem/router for the modem/firewall/router functions. You'd use the Netgear as the switch/WAP.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to turn off the firewall/NAT function.
    You could connect one of the LAN ports on the Netgear to the existing router, turn off DHCP on the netgear and treat it like a switch/WAP, ignoring the router WAN functions. Just be sure you change the Netgear's lan IP address to something that doesn't conflict with your existing network yet on the same subnet.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    Did you read the page on the link you provided?

In the overview: 5-in-1: Modem, Router, Firewall, 4-port Switch, Wireless Access Point.

That's how I knew for sure it had the modem built in, which could be cumbersome for you to configure in order to work with your ISP.

You might be better served with http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_wgt624.php
    Don't let the 'cable' bit throw you off. It is a broadband router without the modem: no cable modem, no DSL modem. You would use your existing modem/router for the modem/firewall/router functions. You'd use the Netgear as the switch/WAP.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to turn off the firewall/NAT function.
    You could connect one of the LAN ports on the Netgear to the existing router, turn off DHCP on the netgear and treat it like a switch/WAP, ignoring the router WAN functions. Just be sure you change the Netgear's lan IP address to something that doesn't conflict with your existing network yet on the same subnet.

Thanks very much for your help chief! Much appreciated.

I'm off to spend some money ;)
  • Options
    All sorted, purchased the following:-

Fujitsu Siemens AMILO L1310G - Intel Celeron M370 1.5GHz (512KB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB) - 512MB RAM - 80GB PATA Hard Disk - Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 - 15.4 TFT WXGA Crystal View Display - 2.8kg -
    Multi-format DVD writer - Windows XP Home

(PC Pro - Recommended)

Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router"
    Electronics

Thanks peeps!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    LukeQuake wrote:

Fujitsu Siemens AMILO L1310G - Intel Celeron M370 1.5GHz (512KB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB) - 512MB RAM - 80GB PATA Hard Disk - Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 - 15.4 TFT WXGA Crystal View Display - 2.8kg -
    /quote]

:o Good choice!!! :o
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    LukeQuake wrote:

/quote]

:o Good choice!!! :o

really?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Yes,

that notebook is of high quality. I personally find it a little big and heavy, but as a desktop replacement, it's amazing. Your sister will be happy with it.

Good luck!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Yes,

that notebook is of high quality. I personally find it a little big and heavy, but as a desktop replacement, it's amazing. Your sister will be happy with it.

Good luck!

Hope so, I spent a couple of hours trying to convince her that "I'm the expert" and that "she should take my advice!" rofl =]
  • Options
    I don't know if I would have gone for a celeron though.
  • Options