Options

no experience no job (again)

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had another interview 3 weeks ago, he finally got back with me. I don't have the experience he is looking for. He says he is still looking to fill the job. I think I would have been great at it.

I don't understand why he even had me in for an interview. I say right at the top of my resume that I am looking for an entry level job. I list all the jobs I have had, none of them have been I.T. related.

A couple of months ago the company I work for was looking for an end user support person. I didn't have the experience he was looking for.

I have heard that none of the people doing end user support where I work now had any experience when they were hired, they didn't even have the education or certs that I have, they still don't. Someone gave them a break.

This is more rhetorical than anything else; how do I get experience to get a job to get experience to get a job to get...?

Everybody has to start somewhere! I am very frustrated.

Comments

• Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i know how you feel, i'm going through the same right now, i have three certs, thinking its good enough to get an entry level job with no problem, yeah right.. its been weeks now, and still nothing, i've been applying like crazy. like you, i have in my resume under objectives listed that i'm looking for an entry level job, so the only thing you can do is be patient and sooner or later you'll have another interview and hopefully get the job.
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    One thing you can do is to start networking (socially). Attend user group meetings, Chamber of Commerce meetings, Job Fairs, etc. Get to know some of these people. They may not have anything for you, but they may know someone who does. You may meet someone that has an internship where you can gain some experience.

It is discouraging, and it takes time. Pick yourself up and keep at it, and never let it show to prospective employers.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Same boat here. I have a degree, two certs, and working towards MCSA. I live in a rural area with virtually no IT jobs and when there are openings, employers can be very selective with whom they hire and what they have to pay them. My biggest problem is I need to obtain a job before I can move to an area where the jobs are more plentiful.

It's easy to get down, but just look at all the jobs that are available when you have the magical 2-3 years of experience. I would advise to remove the words "entry level" from your resumes though. Focus more on what you can do than what you might not be able to do yet.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Is the situation bad down in the states too? It seems like there's actually more opportunities in more unpopulated areas. I see postings for smaller cities in Canada, but in Toronto, the openings are few. And competition is crazy!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Sorry to hear you all are having trouble getting that initial IT job (or an entry-level one), and hopefully you'll find a good opportunity soon.

Remember to look at semi-technical positions as well. If you want beginning IT experience, don't be afraid to apply for marketing and/or administrative support positions, especially at small-to-midsize companies. I'm talking about "office" positions, not manufacturing or retail. Besides getting wonderful general "business" experience, you get a chance to be hands-on in a business (or corporate) computer environment. Start learning everything you can about the business and its IT systems and processes, and make friends (or at least start by introducing yourself as an aspiring IT geek... I mean professional) with the companies IT staff or consultants. Watch for job openings, or even ask what type of tech positions the company employs and what skills would you need to perform those functions.

Keep an eye for the technical position you want (both inside and outside) of the company, all the while receiving a paycheck, and getting general "office" experience that lends itself to having customer service, customer support, inter-office support, organization, and other skills that may be deemed relevant to the IT job you are working for. Continue to gain knowledge and certifications for that knowledge.

In my experience, it is easier to teach the technical aspects (by sending someone to classes) of a job, than trying to teach them how a particular business is run or an industry applies technology. There often isn't a class the employer can send you to that teaches how they run their business. You will have a leg up, and a credible reference (if you do a good job in your non-technical responsibilities), if and when a job opens up in the IT department... you know have "insider" knowledge. Don't be afraid to hint that you would like the more technical tasks at the job (preparing Powerpoint presentations, setting up a new departmental printer, or creating a spreadsheet for the department... it is easy to be the technical expert in the eyes of many office personnel (and more importantly your boss).

Not sure it helps, but I know I've pulled internally capable individuals from other departments (marketing, administration, and mailroom) for entry-level IT and MIS jobs that have the right personality (hey, I already know how they handle pressure and the social aspects of working with other people), the right aptitude (I see, or can find out from their manager, how they do their current job, and how they quickly they learn and apply the technology given to them), and general work ethic... plus they understand at least one aspect of the business already (and sometimes adds valuable knowledge to the IT team because of their departmental experience).

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm with rcoop on this one. I went to an interview recently and I hope I get the job. I interviewed for an hour and a half, and it went well. My point is as some of you have seen the resume I'm using (with good results) the NOC chief told me up front it looks good but your not going to do any of this here. Some IT jobs dont fit the classic IT mold. You need to be flexable and open to new ideas of what IT "is". My first IT job was at an ISP putting together PC's for $8 an hour. This lead to help desk and network duties. And I did it. Good luck.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. For one thing it is diffcult to take time to go to interviews, I have to use vacation time. When I do go I tend to get my hopes up.

How do people deal with taking time to go to interviews when they work full time?
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I've been looking for 3rd shift positions as well to 1) gain experience and 2) allow me to go to interviews for better jobs during the day without having to take off work. I know not many people can/will work midnights do to having a family or other responsibilities. There's not that many IT 3rd shift jobs in comparision to 1st and 2nd shifts.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One suggestion on here I agree with 100% -

Go get yourself a internship! You will gain experience and maybe a job offer from the company where you are doing your internship.

That will be a great start in the right direction!

Good luck..
  • Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As the other poster states volunteer!

I never thought about this until I read a thread on this forum about volunteering, this was back in March this year. I was like ya, good idea. That will get me out of this rout that I do at work.

So I went to Google and searched for non profit organizations in my area. I emailed maybe around 5 of them asking if they needed any free IT services (of course it was more verbal than this). And I got two offers back, one was a project they needed done (Bookem) and one has been an ongoing Network Administration position that I’ve been doing (Monroe). See below a bit from my resume.

Mind you I’m a full time employee and I always volunteered during my 1 hour lunch break, and I’ve done all of that below already! – It can be done even if your full time.

Monroe Harding Children’s Home
    March, 06 – Current
    Reference: Naomi Carroll - H.R. & Technology Coordinator
    Reference: Jennifer Henton - Volunteer Coordinator
    Phone: (615) 298 XXX ext XXX
    TITLE: Voluntary IT Network Assistant (Nonprofit)

DUTIES INCLUDE:

• Will instruct a Computer Technology class starting August 22. To prepare students for MCP+, Network+.
    • Migrated Windows XP workgroup to a domain utilized by Windows Small Business Server.
    • Assisting the Technology Coordinator in administering computers when possible.
    • Troubleshooting desktop computers, PC maintenance, testing communication.
    • Assisted Technology Coordinator with server audits and plans for new server role out and deployment strategies.
    • Deploying and maintaining peripherals such as Laser Jet printers and Direct Jets.
    • Anything technical Monroe needs advice and technical assistant with they will call or email.

Book’em-Kids
    March, 06 – Current
    Reference: Stephanie Koehler - Coordinator, Library Without Walls
    Reference: Lee Fairbend - Executive Director
    Phone: (615) XXX XXXX
    TITLE: Voluntary IT Assistant (Nonprofit)

CURRENT PROJECT:

• Networked their MAC’s and Windows workstations for a centralized location for their databases.
    • Implemented a VPN solution using Windows 2000 server, using standard PPTP. Also setup a Terminal Service solution for windows based users.
    • Continue support for ongoing technical issues.
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    I actually did some volunteer work while I was attending my A+ cert class. I would find it difficult to do now. I try to spend as much of my "free time" as possible studying. I think I will forget about looking for a job for a while and get some more certs first.

I don't know much about internships. I do know that I can't work for "nothing". I have a family, house, etc. I already feel like I work for nothing, but it does pay better than some I.T. jobs I've seen listed. It's not anywhere near what I am worth, but it is just enough to keep me coming in everyday.

I do know one of the end user support people here, he is the one that gave me the heads up about the opening. He told me he thought my getting hired would be a "slam dunk." He thinks I am very qualified, but unfortunately doesn't have any input into the hiring process. He said that I am very trainable, that he would train me himself. The guy doing the hiring had other ideas though. He was dead set on someone with a lot of on the job experience.

I have always worked in small businesses with no room for growth, I thought that going to work for a large company would preset opportunities.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The next time you get a call back stating you dont' have the experience they need, see if maybe you can broker a deal with them, like a contract for a couple months to see if you work out so they don't have to feel committed to hiring you. Or, even offer to intern with them or volunteer just to show them what you're capable of.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    This is were the difficult part in IT trying to land into an Entry level job if you dont have any experience.

I also on the same situation and I think most of the advice here is absolutely correct and your on the right path you got your certifications. For me what I did is since my current job is an Admin Assistant for a small office which I also do some IT support for some minor problems why not try to look for that kind of job if you can not get in to the IT Entry level in that way at least you can show them something and I do agree try to get some internship or volunteer work, Me to gain more real hand on experience I went to this small computer shop and ask them if I can do some internship but since they dont have budget for additional employee I insist just to get some hands on. And now Im already there and learing a lot at my own time. You can also add that to your resume.

And lastly never give up