Options

ccna techlabs archived posts

Hi there

When configuring the password for console i am bit confused with 'login'. I know that login is used to display the Login prompt at router startup(just take the case of console)

But some where i read Login before the password

Router(config-line)#login
Router(config-line)#password cisco456

and some times after the password like in your case...

What difference does that makes?? Any hints please.. thanks in advance
:santa:

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The order in which you enter the commands doesn't matter in this case. 'login' means the line you are configuring will require a login, the password is also assigned to the line, not specifically to the 'login' command.
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Hi there

When configuring the password for console i am bit confused with 'login'. I know that login is used to display the Login prompt at router startup(just take the case of console)

But some where i read Login before the password

and some times after the password like in your case...

What difference does that makes?? Any hints please.. thanks in advance

Webmaster wrote:
    The order in which you enter the commands doesn't matter in this case. 'login' means the line you are configuring will require a login, the password is also assigned to the line, not specifically to the 'login' command.

Actually... by practice... it does make a difference. In practice you should always perform the password command before you perform the login command. This is the reason why I believe this small issue is important:

Imagine you put the login command first... if for any reason the router reboots or you have to leave the console for whatever reason. You just inititated a required login with no password. Then you will have to either redo the commands or if you are working remotely (on some interfaces) you will not be able to get in.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I was just saying it doesn't make a difference for the final operation of the router, but you are right, it's good practice to configure the password first.

btw, "if for any reason the router reboots" it would start with the startup configuration, and in any case if you are in the middle of configuring something and haven't saved it yet and it reboots you need to redo the config, so this is not specific to this scenario or commands.
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Yup you are correct in that case.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."