Options

Virtual PC - Blue Screen

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Is it possible to install XP on a virtual machine using an unattended installation? I get a blue screen each time i try.

Have run the same installed on physical machine and its fine.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x00000000A

Ideas?

Error seems to lead to Hardware fault but its a virtual machine.....?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,027 Admin
    Can you install Windows XP in VPC on the same computer using the normal Windows XP installation procedure? If not, then the problem has nothing to do with unattended installation. It would most likely be an incompatibility between VPC and one of your hardware drivers.
  • Options
    Yep. Following starting this most i manually installed XP in a VPC fine with no problems what so ever.

No change to hardware configuration on either VPC. Infact the only change was that i deleted and recreated VHD and ran through a manual install.

Very odd. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At which point in the install do you get the blue screen?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,027 Admin
    The automated installation is selecting--or not selecting--install options that the manual installation is not. Can you verify that the automated installation is or is not following exactly the same procedure, and using the same options, as the manual installation?
  • Options
    chirag10chirag10 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    try making an ISO image of the windows xp CD and also make an answer fileon a floppy so the installation will detect it as unattended and will read of the answer file of the floppy :D
  • Options
    Done both Chirag & JD, still same thing. Very wierd indeed......

Installing windows..... Gets to 100% reboots and thats when the BS appears. icon_confused.gif