Sticky folder redirection

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
I had set up folder redirection on a few workstations several months ago. It worked out but I have since taken it down while I research other options. It appears that several workstations are still attempting to synchronize with this group policy, even though I have changed the group policy to redirect back to the local folders. It's seems this redirection is "stuck" on a select few PCs. I need know how to remove it from the workstations in question, I figure it's something in the registry. All group policies appear to be applying to the workstation and user without issue.

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    May be GPO's havent updated on local machines,

Have your tried gpupdate /force from command line??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Same sort of thing happened to me. I made the domain policy redirect the My Documents folder to my server, and then when I was done playing with it I made it redirect back to the local profile, because I read that that's what you should do to "undo" it. So my docs are all normally in my local profile, but at shutdown it keeps synchronizing with the server. It doesn't actually put any data on the server, but it still does that weird sync thing. I tried removing the policy, minor changes, but it still does that. And it's been doing it for months, so it's no update thing.
    I never figured it out. Weird. icon_confused.gif
    witty comment
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Something like that happened to me before, where we had a redirection policy for a few machines, and it was removed but on bootup my computer kept trying to find the redirection destination even after it ceased to exist. It was one of those minor annoyances I never got around to fixing before my hard drive crashed.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    _omni_ wrote:
    Same sort of thing happened to me. I made the domain policy redirect the My Documents folder to my server, and then when I was done playing with it I made it redirect back to the local profile, because I read that that's what you should do to "undo" it. So my docs are all normally in my local profile, but at shutdown it keeps synchronizing with the server. It doesn't actually put any data on the server, but it still does that weird sync thing. I tried removing the policy, minor changes, but it still does that. And it's been doing it for months, so it's no update thing.
    I never figured it out. Weird. icon_confused.gif

yea it doesn't move files, but it sucks b/c it hangs there b/c the server and share no longer exists. i'll have to double check the GPO application, although my most recent gpos are applying.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bet with a search of your registry for the path that that nonexistant share... and you'll probably find the (orphaned?) policy reponsible for this behavior.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If the problem is resync, do you have roaming profiles configured? Check the profile type on the local machine and change it to local if it is still showing the cache copy as roaming after verifying that the user account is no longer using roaming profiles.