Options

command question

hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
hi everybody i have the next problem

when i perform a telnet on a 7200 router and i write a wrong ip address
the router yields this:

Trying 129.56.81.111 ...
that's not the problem, the problem is when i want to interrupt this process i perform ctrl+z, or ctrl+c, or crtl+break and i can't stop it after 30 secs which is a long time!!

can you give some advice or some command or combination to interrupt immeadtly any process like that?

thnks a lot guys

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Use no ip domain-lookup. This will prevent a lookup when you type a bogus command. otherwise, you will need to change the config-register to respond to a break.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont think BubbaJ read the question correctly, to stop the telnet do ctrl+shift+6 afew times and that should do the trick.What bubbaJ mentioned will disable the domain lookup which can be annoying after entering the wrong command.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    I dont think BubbaJ read the question correctly, to stop the telnet do ctrl+shift+6 afew times and that should do the trick.What bubbaJ mentioned will disable the domain lookup which can be annoying after entering the wrong command.
    You're right, I misunderstood the question. I'm multitasking on conference calls today.
  • Options
    i 'm trying with ctrl+6 few times and i can't yet....
  • Options
    You could also use ip host to put in the correct address so you don't mistype it. This is useful if you use the same address a lot, and makes reverse telnet much easier.
  • Options
    m mmmmm i already was wondering about that idea but it's imperative that i need to check with my boss.............

thnks a lot guys
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    The question really was how do I break out of a failed telnet attempt and the answer is there is no good way other than wait for the annoying timeout. I do not advise using the ip host command on production routers, especially if your network is large. Save that command for use on term servers.
    What you saw will occur if you attempt to telnet to an unreachable address (either a typo or a down remote site/interface).

Yankee
  • Options
    Yankee wrote:
    I do not advise using the ip host command on production routers, especially if your network is large. Save that command for use on term servers.
    No, I would not use it on a large site - that is what DNS is for. It is fine for production at a smaller site. We probably have 10,000 routers and I don't know how many switches. They are all in DNS so I can refer to them by name. I almost never telnet from one device to another (other than reverse telnet from terminal servers). I currently use SecureCRT so that I can have tabbed sessions into multiple devices and easily switch between them.