Hey guys, need some help..

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
I plan on building a new PC but i want to use the same hard drive i have now with my files installed. if i install the Hard Drive with new hardware installed i probably will run into problems with the current OS that is on the drive since there will be a hardware/software change. I do not want to re install the OS and i was wondering if i boot up with the Windows CD then hit "r" repair, will the OS detect the new hardware and change the Reg to the new components or is there another way? Thanks.

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That might work. Back up your drive though before doing that.
    Depending on the change in chipset, processor ahd APCI, you might not have to do much of anything other than update drivers.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    if you are changing video cards then make sure that you set it to VGA before shutting down. I would also uninstall the south bridge drivers for your existing motherboard before shutting down. Be aware that XP will want you to reactivate and if you have office installed so will it. If you have to call Microsoft for reactivation be prepared to explain why you changed the motherboard. Microsofts official stance is that motherboard changes require a new license. It is stupid but all the magazines were reporting on that requirement the first of the year. Apparently they feel that it is the motherboard that makes up a system and the windows license is attached to it. icon_confused.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO