Options

Need help with my CCNP Lab

mramirezmramirez Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was wondering if at all I can use only Cisco 3600 routers for the CCNP course. I know most of the equipment that is listed is all 2500, 2600 Seriers routers. The reason that I am asking is because my work can provide me with as many Cisco 3600 routers that I need. Because of some contract support work that we do. We have tons of them here but not sure if I can get get certain cards to place into them. They are actually the 3640's that have the 4 slots. Or am I forced to buy 2500, 2600 when I actually have as many 3600 that I want. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manny

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_eek.gif

Um, if you can get the NMs for them, you'll be good to go. icon_thumright.gif

I'm using 36xxs for my home CCIE lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mramirezmramirez Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Sorry for the dumb question but what is a NMs? Can you send me a link to purchase the equipment?

Thanks!

WoW I love this site. So much good information.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mramirez wrote:
    what is a NMs?
    Um.... I always assumed "Network Module".... which would make a WIC a WAN Interface .... um, card? connector? cat? cowpen?

You can put an NM-xxxx in each open slot on those 3640s.

Here is your "wishbook" -- if you are old enough to remember the old Sears Christmas catalogs.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routermodxref.pdf

Look at the 3640 column. If you can get 2 NM-1FEs and a NM-4T per 3640, that leaves you 1 open NM slot to play with. That would be, uh, very good. icon_lol.gif If you had to, you could suffer with NM-4A/S for your serial connections. icon_sad.gif

Okay -- just kidding about those NM-4A/S -- I've got a bunch of them icon_lol.gif They're fine (and cheaper than the NM-4Ts, but slower)

Ooooooh... I never noticed that the NM-2FE2W were also /V .... they support VICs? (V=voice)? (the R=token ring, the E= old slow 10Mb ethernet, and the W means you can stuff in a WIC too)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    mikej412 wrote:
    mramirez wrote:
    what is a NMs?
    Um.... I always assumed "Network Module".... which would make a WIC a WAN Interface .... um, card? connector? cat? cowpen?
    It's indeed WIC as in NIC (card) and based on the column headings in the pdf you linked to, there's also a VIC (voice...). Cisco is the master of abbreviations.