Most common exchange 2003 support issues

rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
What are the most common problems/issues network admins find with exchange 2003?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might try checking here:
    http://www.msexchange.org/
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    more than could be listed in one post...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I'd say faulty AD, which in turn is usually caused by faulty DNS.
    Missing/misconfigured global catalog.
    Corrupted stores or logs. Misconfigured real time antivirus scans can yank a log file and crash the store. Sometimes you can recover the yanked log from quarantine, reconfigure RTFS, and then remount the store.

Those are probably the most common I come up with when clients call.

Oh, and misunderstanding on how to configure server and DNS for internet mail. Sending IP address (usually the router's address) needs to have a PTR record associated with it, otherwise AOL and others will reject mail you send to them.
    Going over the storage limit. In the past year I have seen servers with mailboxes that grow too large, databases that grow beyond capacity and go kaput, and a server that ran out of disk space due to poor disk planning, all of these can cause data loss.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    I don't administer Exchange, but what I hear from the people that do is scalability is a real problem. It sounds like up to 20,000 users is fine, but it is a constant battle to keep it running with 10 times that many.
    blargoe wrote:
    Going over the storage limit. In the past year I have seen servers with mailboxes that grow too large, databases that grow beyond capacity and go kaput, and a server that ran out of disk space due to poor disk planning, all of these can cause data loss.

Since MS released SP2 for Exchange, that kicked off another set of support concerns: SP2 expanded the store size limit for standard edition, but the registry maintains the old limit+2GB=18GB. So you have to do a registry hack to unlock the new limit.
    Eww... I wasn't aware of that! I'll make sure our main exchange admin knows this.

Good for me to know since the new job I start next week I'll be jumping into primary responsibility for Exchange!
    IT guy since 12/00

This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912375/en-us will provide a link to the whitepaper on the new options available in E2K3SP2.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    blargoe wrote:
    There is a trick to increase the storage limit to 17GB (short term reconmended only)
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    Trailerisf wrote:
    blargoe wrote:
    There is a trick to increase the storage limit to 17GB (short term reconmended only)

'trick' no longer applies to E2K3SP2. Already automatically extends to 18GB and can be extended to 72GB by a registry change.