Options

how to telnet the "frame-relay switching" rouer?

I just did a frame-realy lab task. it is working fine. but i wonder how to telnet the router in the "cloud". cuz u don't have ip on it. does console cable the only way?

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    madonion wrote:
    I just did a frame-realy lab task. it is working fine. but i wonder how to telnet the router in the "cloud". cuz u don't have ip on it. does console cable the only way?
    Do you mean the frame relay switch? In the real world, it is controlled by the telco and you have no access to it. It may or may not be a router, but it is acting as a Layer 2 (frame relay) switch not a router.
  • Options
    BubbaJ wrote:
    madonion wrote:
    Do you mean the frame relay switch? In the real world, it is controlled by the telco and you have no access to it. It may or may not be a router, but it is acting as a Layer 2 (frame relay) switch not a router.

u'r right. but in home lab i can use one router to act like those layer2 switches in the "cloud". my question is, in my lab, i don't have ip on that router. i can only do the modification by the console cable. is there better way such as you can find a way to telnet it ?
  • Options
    You can use a console cable. You could, also, connect another interface, such as ethernet, to your network and use that. You just can't get to it through the lab frame relay since it will try to switch each frame it receives.
  • Options
    I would suggest that you get a router that can be used as a terminal server. That way, you can console into each of your devices through access to a single device. Console access can be important to a failing lab that prevents telnet to one or more devices, and will be more and more useful as you progress through more Cisco certifications.
  • Options
    I managed to connect any left interface of that router and telnet it. i guess there's no way, since that router can't communicate without an ip.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BubbaJ wrote:
    You could, also, connect another interface, such as ethernet, to your network and use that. You just can't get to it through the lab frame relay since it will try to switch each frame it receives.

What Bubba says!

Why don't you have IP on it? Are you running an IPX only IOS version? icon_lol.gif

I telnet to my frame switchs all the time, even with the 2509s and 2511s now attached to the console ports. A lot of times its just faster and easier.

Run IP. Give it an IP. IP is your friend!

Or is this a Token Ring model, and you only run Ethernet? If so -- 4 serial or 10 serial?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    methinks I'll telnet to the mars rover right now ....
    rm -rf /