Options

Anybody else hate help desk work?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Wow, you guys make me feel good about my new job! I just started today as a HelpDesk Support Tech and I'll also be doing some setting up of servers for our clients. We are a company that designs, installs, and manages networks for companies that don't have their own IT department. Most of the calls we get, fortunately, are more in-depth than "My printer won't print". I also get to monitor the Events generated by the servers and watch for anything serious to come through. I then have to remote in and fix the problems or apply patches, etc...

I'll let you know in a few months how it goes...the big advantage is that I will be able to advance in the company from Helpdesk to Field Tech and/or Network Administrator...So, it has it's benefits... icon_wink.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Help Desk is like a hazing I think everyone should go through to start their IT career as it achieves 3 things.

1. A better understanding of how IT relates to users and the business requirements. What you think is important is not necessarily as important to the business/users. Its important to know this.

2. Whats its like being on the recieving end of Help Desk calls - it might make you a little more respectful towards those people when you need to use them.

3. Makes you appreciate your higher level jobs so much more - when your on a project and trying to do up all the documentation for scope etc. and filling out reports and budgets for managers it can get you down a bit but reflecting back on your Help Desk days and you suddenly get a spark of energy - as things could be worse.

But saying that i have had some good times on Help Desk - it is generally more sociable and there is a lot of instant satifisaction from resolving lots jobs quickly trather than waiting 12 months on a project to see the fruits of your labour.