Options

something about "sh ver"

I noticed on the internet forum, some "sh ver" display have the DRAM description like "14336K/2048K". from ccna test books, it says the total memory amount should be 14336+2048=16K.

but i checked my routers with 16K, it shows "16384K/2048K". is there any difference? what causes this difference?

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    That may be an IOS version difference in how they report this. Since you are using sh ver anyway, look at the version numbers to see if they are different.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are we talking about 2500 series routers? The last version of the 2500 family put 2meg on the motherboard. These routers actually support 18Meg total. I am told that this actually allows the last couple of IOS versions (one of the 12.3's) to run on the 2500 that normally would not have.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote:
    Are we talking about 2500 series routers? The last version of the 2500 family put 2meg on the motherboard. These routers actually support 18Meg total. I am told that this actually allows the last couple of IOS versions (one of the 12.3's) to run on the 2500 that normally would not have.
    really, i didn't know that. well thanks for the info.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Most books never mention this obscure fact.

When you take the ram out, sh ver gives 0k/2048k instead of the normal no memory error. Some after market memory companies show a note about it in their catalogs like this link

http://www.ram-it.com/catalog1/catsearch.php?txtOEM=Cisco&perpage=25

Though they do have an error about a pcmcia slot, don't think any model had one of those unless it was one of those white box pro series.

The link on the next line mentions it also.

http://www.canadaram.com/cisco.htm

The line went end of sales right after that because originally they halted upgrades at IOS 12.2T. Some big customers must have complained to get that next IOS version.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO