Options

How to get off BSOD

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
Hey all , maybe my question is complicated , but the point is simple.

How do we configure our computer , so that BSOD { Blue Screen of Death , or just Blue screen you know } is not displayed , if an hardware or a problem occurs !

Cheer's ! and thank's in advance ;)icon_lol.gif
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go to your system properties, go to advanced, go to startup and recovery, under "System Failure" select automatically restart and select "none" under "Write Debugging Information".
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    But why would you want to do that...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    The BSOD rarely has information that is useful beyond a software developer point of view. Usually, regardless of what causes the memory ****/blue screen, you have to resort to the same trouble shooting procedures of last-known good, safe mode, recovery console, hardware check.

I know I am now going to be shown several examples of "When I got a blue screen I found that it was such and such a problem". I have found it is faster and easier to try the above methods to fix, and reimage if none of them work, than to research a blue screen message only to find the fix is the same in the end - last-known good, safe mode, recovery console, hardware check, reimage. Total time in these steps about 1 hour if you have to step through them all, shorter if something works before the reimage step. Total time to research a blue screen, 30 minutes, not including the recommended fix which is usually one of the afore-mentioned steps. Plus, I have found many blue screen errors can lead you down the wrong road wasting time.

My 2 cents. Others mileage may vary.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Try telling that to a client who insists on getting the existing config to work. Many don't have adequate backups anyway.

The event log nowadays records the STOP screen error code anyway, so might as well auto-reboot until you are ready to tackle the problem causing it.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    Try telling that to a client who insists on getting the existing config to work. Many don't have adequate backups anyway.
    BSOD's I have seen are normally caused by hardware failures, usually memory problems. My customers actually think I fixed it if they don't get the blue screen. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Bad drivers can cause it too, as can malware attacking critical system files and drivers.

If nothing has changed (no updates, no new software), and malware scans show no attacks, then hardware is logically the place to focus one's attention.