Options

Comcast Help Desk

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Currently I am trying to get a job with Comcast Tech support.
Has anybody worked for Comcast Tech Support? I'de like to hear any thoughts.

Patrick
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Have you worked in tech support before? Is it a call center job or working with equipment? Once we have the answer, we should be able to provide you with some cool insights icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Without knowing anything about comcast directly, if you have little or no experience working and have been having trouble finding a job, then this might be a good "foot in the door" opportunity for you probably. I imagine an ISP call center wouldn't be the most pleasent place to work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    The Place I applyed for was for an inbound call center in plymonth meeting PA. This call Center Handles Business Tech support calls. I think I did really well on the interview I am just waiting for the call.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    inkyatariinkyatari Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently applied for a customer service position with Comcast. This was at a job fair about 2 weeks or so ago.. Passed the tests, had a first level interview...

Haven't heard back. I've tried contacting the Schaumburg IL call center, but darned if I can find a direct number for it
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    I was there for the AT&T Broadband to Comcast conversion... What a nightmare that was... It's all good though, we only "lost" 20,000 e-mail addresses! The work is so-so. I preffered later shifts, you'd get calls from more laid back Californians than anyone else. We always knew how a call would go just by the area code it came from. If you get the job, you'll understand... Watch out for Boston!

EDIT: was it for Convergys? They do like 70% of the support for Comcast.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    Comcast never called back. I called the lady I interviewed with and left her two voice mails and I sill never heard anything. I was kind of bummed because I really wanted to work for a stable company that was growing. In the end thou everything worked out for the best because I got a job with an IT firm that does Video Conferencing support for Hospitals,Pharmaceutical companies and Doctors. The kick is I am going to making more money as a regular CSR rep then as a Group Lead/Supervisor at Verizon.[/b]

Fats Domino
  • Options
    TecShdwTecShdw Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it's call center work it could be ok for a bit. [I work with commercial and residential broadband customers] Just be carefull you don't get into an area [geographically] that this is the only thing there is for you. I made this mistake when first finishing school and have been in an inbound tech support center for over 5 years. I'm extremely ready to move on. At the same time I've found in the years to pass that the job can most certainly help out a beginner. When I started out I was all about straight PC Support, now that I've been here I've found that I'm more of a network type of guy. So right now I'm working on studying up for my Network+, if all goes well there I'll move on to bigger and better certs and whatnot. Hopefully in the next 6 mo.s I can get my Network+, seems this site can be a HUGE help (along with my Network+ book from Que Publishing I'm halfway through.

The only thing I've found in callcenter work (which I'm sure varies from one place to another) is the quality of new employees. When I started where I am you had to really know what you were doing to get in, especially with large scale networking (DHCP, DNS, routing, ect. ect.) That was how I learned so much (used to be able to log right into routers/CMTS's/DHCP servers, you name it!) Now all of that has been cut back, there are 'easy-to-use' applications that do some of it for you, and the other stuff is now just simply forbidden.

So, again, that could be a good place to get started and figure out what direction you want to go in IT and it can be a rewarding job.
    PC Technician Certified - MCSA Server 2003, MCTS-Vista
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I like Call Center work. I got my first taste of it when I worked at Bell South doing Dial-up ISP Help Desk work. I learned so much on that job! That's why I was excited about the Comcast job and was really disappointed when they did not call back. In the end thou this other IT company I will be working for is great. The people are nice and offices are clean. I start my new CSR job next week.

Since I have been Laid off I have been really studying for my Network Plus exam. I have been trying to get a few people togetother in my area (Delaware County) to form a Study group but nobody can get there act togetother. It's so frustrating! They whine about needing a study partner but don't want to put forth the effort. Sigh...Anyway, thanks again for the response.

Fats Domino