Options

Unitek's 5-Day CCNA Bootcamp

AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
I wanted to get some opinions on this....seems like a good deal but then again, $2,395??? Seems maybe a tad to much for something like this. I am thinking maybe I will just do it the old fashioned way.

I am not worried about passing the exam on my own but gaining all the knowledge from the studying process I am worried. I mean, hands on expereince is the best and you'll get plenty of it at this bootcamp.

What do you all think???

http://www.unitek.com/training/cisco/ccna_bootcamp.php#guarantee

Comments

• Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITS NOT WORTH IT!

with that amount of money you can get CISCO router/switch & firewall!
    with that.. you create a whole network.. that you can get really good hands on experience and that they will remain with you forever!

Just go buy the book... learn the concepts... download exams... review questions... and do research..and keep testing yourself...till you get 100% in each online exam you take....and thats all!

maybe it will take you a month to 3 months... but trust me.. its worth it...
    and there is no point to do it in 5 days... because you are not going to get a job on the sixth day...

morad
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    i agree with kicker. A course that intensive may allow you to pass the exam but you may forget alot of it afta a week due to the speed of which you were tryin to cram all that info into your head.

use the money on other things i would suggest like setting up a lab at home with ideally 2 2500 series routers and maybe a switch or 2 llike a 1912 or 1924 so you can play with the configurations and really get stuck in. Gud luck
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    Are those router model numbers you mentioned some of the popular models? Are there other models you would suggest or are these the ones to get my hands on???

Thank guys for your help!
  • Options
    yes the 2501 router and 1912 switch are the prefered options for ccna cert practice.

hope that helps
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    Yes that helps a lot! Thanks! I thought they would be more expensive than this:

CISCO 1912 SWITCH 12 PORT 10/100
    $ 125.00

Cisco 2501 ETHERNET ROUTER
    $ 175.00

I am def gonna pick up these when I begin to prepare...thanks again guys!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The price for the 1900 is good, but the 2501 is too expensive. Makes sure you get at least 2 routers, including the cables (V.35 male DTE and V.35 female DCE, and a console cable), Ethernet transceivers (from the 2501 AUI port to RJ-45), and a recent IOS version. For current exams you 'should' get IOS 12.2, but that is usually not doable, make sure you have at least 11.3.
  • Options
    i agree too expensive for router quite gud for switch, webmaster is right you need a recent IOS wud opt for the latest you can then practice upgrading IOS and partitioning flash and booting from different IOS's residing in flash etc

go 4 it hands on experience is valuable.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    Makes sure you get at least 2 routers, including the cables (V.35 male DTE and V.35 female DCE, and a console cable), Ethernet transceivers (from the 2501 AUI port to RJ-45), and a recent IOS version. For current exams you 'should' get IOS 12.2, but that is usually not doable, make sure you have at least 11.3.

I was doing great until you said all that icon_lol.gif

I will be alright. I am going to do some research about all this before I rush in and buy all the stuff. I def plan on starting to prep within the next month or two.

Do you have any sites you would recommend to purchase this stuff from that is fairly priced....one place I could purchase everything from?
  • Options
    P42GDell wrote:
    I was doing great until you said all that icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif Well, better than safe than sorry right? ;)
    Do you have any sites you would recommend to purchase this stuff from that is fairly priced....one place I could purchase everything from?
    You can search google for refurbished equipement, but they are seldom 'fairly priced', an easy place is www.ebay.com, usually you'll have to buy some things (cables, or the switch) separately, but I've seen complete CCNA labs (as mentioned in this topic and others in the CCNA forums) being offered as well.
  • Options
    thanks for the link...I think I am gonna go with this one...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3044713808

Thanks so much everyone! This site is great icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Looks like a great deal... except for the missing V.35 back-to back cables to connect the routers using the serial ports. Which vary from $50 to $150 and you need two of them (female DCE, and male DTE) to connect the two routers (and simulate a WAN connection), which is rather essential... The cable can be bought separately of course, so it is still a great offer.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Good price. You need 1 of the type shown in that picture, and 1 Cisco V.35 DTE Cable DB60 Male to V35 male. The latter usually comes with the router, but the lab offer doesn't list it so you should get one of those two and then you're set to go...

The DB60 Male side of both cables connect to one of the Serial ports on the 2501 and the V.35 male and female side... well that's probably obvious.

Typically, in a non-lab situation, the V.35 male connects to a CSU/DSU provided by a telco for example.
  • Options