Options

How to get a job with A+ Certification

THartmann9374THartmann9374 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I got A+ Certification last November with many years of experience with PC. I am trying to find a job as a computer technician in Portland, OR area. Many employers said I need Bachelor's degree and do not care about A+ Certification.

I though A+ Certification is sufficent enough to get a position as a computer technician? I had been very frustated and am now doing a job as a freelance technician.

Any thoughs,

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yes, A+ should be able to get you a position as a technician. However, it is an entry-level cert. It's usually a "given" for most positions, and doesn't hold the value it used to. (Even though I've met brilliant people who can manage and deploy huge networks that have never opened up their own desktop, A+ isn't considered to be as prestigious as its networking counterparts.)

The kind of job you're going to be looking at is most likely as an in-house tech for a place like CompUSA, (not Best Buy, Geeksquad can be a little bit elitist when it comes to "regular" techs,) or smaller shops that do mostly repair and upgrade work. I'd say A+ is a good start on your way, especially when paired with other certs such as Network+, Server+, Linux+, or even CCNA or MCSE. Look at it as a stepping-stone that shows you know more than just configuring software or as someone who can work with networks as well as hardware.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    I did technical work long before there was an A+. I have worked at technical and non-technical comapnies. It took me a while, but I learned that companies that don't make their money at technical work appreciate you, as a technical person, more than comapnies that make their money doing technical work.

Technical people are a-dime-a-dozen at computer stores, ISPs, etc., but if you can repair a printer as an employee at a law office, bank, etc. you are a hero.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    When you say you have many years of experience are you talking about hobby type experience (or something along those lines) or are you talking about actually having a job that had you doing tech work?

There is a huge differance! Work experience a lot of times will be worth more than most certifications, it is important to show that you can stay somewhere and that you can be stable. Also working in an office enviroment (or other work enviroments that are similar) is far different than repairing home computers.

As mentioned, if you are have only an A+ then you are more than likely going to have to start somewhere like CompUSA and build up owrk experience.

One note about Best Buy... My friend works for Best Buys geek squad and told me that they do not require an A+ at some of the stores anymore because they feel that it is too easy to obtain the cert. That was something I found interesting.

I think maybe you might try looking into doing your MCDST. Just a thought, I don't actually know anyone in person with this cert to know if it helps them any or not though. Maybe someone here can answer that.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The people telling you you have to have a bachelor's are probably search agencies that are using a degree to filter out applicants. You have years of experience working on PC's, you just need to find a way to market yourself as an experienced PC tech. Since you have been sort of freelance you were your own employer, list that on your resume.

Also consider that you probably would have trouble finding someone to commit to a permanent full time hire on someone with experience that isn't verified by an employer, no degree, etc. I hope you are considering contracts, either full time or part time.

Have you considered expanding your freelance work to sell your services to local small offices and such?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    BubbaJ wrote:
    I did technical work long before there was an A+. I have worked at technical and non-technical comapnies. It took me a while, but I learned that companies that don't make their money at technical work appreciate you, as a technical person, more than comapnies that make their money doing technical work.

Technical people are a-dime-a-dozen at computer stores, ISPs, etc., but if you can repair a printer as an employee at a law office, bank, etc. you are a hero.

Here, here. BubbaJ is absolutely correct. Buy a nice shirt and tie, and some dress slacks, and start applying at a small company as their inhouse tech guy / clerk. (Soon you'll be king of the office...)

--RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Hi,
    I got A+ Certification last November with many years of experience with PC. I am trying to find a job as a computer technician in Portland, OR area. Many employers said I need Bachelor's degree and do not care about A+ Certification.

I though A+ Certification is sufficent enough to get a position as a computer technician? I had been very frustated and am now doing a job as a freelance technician.

Any thoughs,

Thanks, Tom

The thing about needing a bachelor's degree may just well be an excuse. But reagrdless, A+ is not a condition for a job offer (very rarely at least), you dont get the job because you have A+, it's a requirement, that means that people that get the job, will have their A+ cert.

Dont give up too easily, try different places, spend some time on your resume. In the mean time, maybe work on another certificate to beef up your creditials.
    Jack of all trades, master of none