Options

help please

tai chitai chi Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
know this might sound stupid but i really need help from you guys here. i have just finish my college and have being on job hunt for the last three months with no success and i think the cause of this is my CV because i am very bad in grammer structuring .
i would be very greatful if anyone could help me out on a better one (cv) if i show you what i have current got or help me with a sample one that i could follow up with. looking forward to your response guys. thank you

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check with your college administration department, they may offer this as a free service from a professional resume writer.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not trying to be mean here but how did you graduate from College? This says a lot for our college educational system, I guess. Did you not have to write papers and answer essay questions? Unless you went to South Harmon Institute of Technology then I guess that would explain everything. Might I suggest taking a writing class as I am sure that any job that you seek will require some writing ability.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Who's system? He is writing from the United Kingdom and it is apparent that English is not his primary language. Why do so many forget that this is an international forum?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheShadow wrote:
    Who's system? He is writing from the United Kingdom and it is apparent that English is not his primary language. Why do so many forget that this is an international forum?

Funny, I was always under the impression that the language spoken in the UK is English. Regardless, English is the business language spoken around the World as far as International corporate entities are concerned. At least, that is always what I have been lead to believe.
  • Options
    billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would think that very few to nil jobs in the UK would use Chinese as the business language just as here in the U.S. So the question is if this person has gotten a 4 year degree in the UK then during those 4 years they would have learned the language well enough to communicate in the business world. I can say with certainty that if I were to go to a foreign country to work and the language was not English, I would certainly do everything possible to learn the language as quickly as possible and to learn to speak it as well as a native of the region.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I'm not talking specificaly about anyone here - But for all the people who post a "sometimes hard to read" post in their second language of English, I have to admint they do a hell of alot better job than I can with my second language(Which is nothing). They actually speak the language better than some people I have meet who's primary language is english and live in the us.

tai chi- I have no job leads for you. What I can tell you is keep reading and working on your English and once you get very fluent with it, use it to your advantage and list it on your resume. Anyone that claims to be very smart, always throws the "number of languages" they can speak ball at you. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your support i would try my best to better my english, least i have got the technical knowledge when it comes to doing the job if i do get it and i am still a young man for that dont think it is to late in learning english.
    Again leaving in the UK does not mean I am English, okey.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    billg wrote:
    I would think that very few to nil jobs in the UK would use Chinese as the business language just as here in the U.S.

You are in the mid-west, I am originally from Chicago so I do understand your views. When I came to California there was a large culture shock period for me. Some of the smartest design engineers that I ever had the pleasure to work with, many with Ph D's, had terrible written English; however they spoke it very well. I have always been of the opinion that differences in written language structure were the root cause. I did not assume Chinese but assuming that is true, you would find that written Chinese and spoken Chinese are very different and might not be as easy as you believe. CV/Resumes are unforgiving and help is often needed. We my friend will have to agree to disagree.

Speak three languages and you are tri-lingual. Speak two languages and you are bi-lingual. Speak one language and you are probably an American.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    if you PM your resume, I would be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

Being second generation Chinese from Hong Kong, I understand the stage you are in right now. Though I have been in Canada for more than 11 years, I find that English is often easier when spoken than when written.

=> billg, I'm guessing you probably dont speak a word of Chinese, because if you did, you wouldnt undermind the difficulty of learning English with Chinese as mother-tongue.

=> TheShadow, very good point about the difference between Spoken and written Chinese, in fact, technically the spoken language is not called Chinese, because there are so many dialects. Only the written language is unified into one language with two character sets. (Traditional, and Simplified).
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    i dont know much about history on langauge, i was only asking for an advice or information about where to get help on CV writing.
    Let me say this, i am not chinese, tai chi is only a name friends call me .
    i am from west africa where there is no too better education if u know what i mean.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    tai chi wrote:
    i dont know much about history on langauge, i was only asking for an advice or information about where to get help on CV writing.
    Let me say this, i am not chinese, tai chi is only a name friends call me .
    i am from west africa where there is no too better education if u know what i mean.

hmmm, somehow some where somebody thought you were Chinese I guess....but it doesnt matter. If you put which part of your CV needs looking at, I'm sure people can give you some comments. Beyond that, you're going to have to search at your local community centre/library/job centres etc...

I wouldnt recommend BUYING a book on how to write resume, CV, these things change all the time you should probably try and get access to a free copy from the library or something.
    Jack of all trades, master of none