Options

MCSA or CCNA?

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Presently, I doing freelance and contract PC tech/desktop support work. I have my A+, Network+ and MCP (70-271) credentials. I am presently preparing for 70-272 so I can earn my MCDST certification.

Lately, I am thinking of the next certification I hope to obtain after I finish pass exam 70-272. Most of my background working Desktop Support or PC Technician work. Seems like in the past few years, I've been getting more into the networking realm. Thus, I am thinking of either getting a CCNA or MCSA cert. Since I have more of a "hardware background", I am thinking CCNA. I know CCNA is not easy, but I doubt 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291 are any easier.

I was planning to take a CCNA class at the local community college, but, I decided to wait so I can finish up on my MCDST credential. Also, I've been getting more work lately. Still no long-term contract or perm job, but heck, it beats staying at home! Thus, I am looking to take 70-272 in October or November, then get started fresh on a new cert when 2007 rolls around. Of course, things can change at anytime! Hopefully, the college will be offering the same intro CCNA and MCSA classes next semester.

I feel certifications adds credibility to one's career. Why bother going for them if they didn't mean anything. With all the time, effort and financial investment one puts into getting a cert, sooner or later, it oughta pay off! Else, why bother?

Would appreciate any feed back, comments and contructive criticism. icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're more interested in networking and internetworking, go for the CCNA. MCDST isn't a bad thing to pair with a Cisco cert, especially if you plan on moving into routing and switching on a more permanent basis, (like, say, pushing up along to CCNP and maybe even to CCIE, down the road.) Having a desktop support certification like MCDST is going to be beneficial to show that you know enough about Windows, and desktop systems in general, to not be scratching your head when a problem arises. (The A+/Net+ combo is very good in that department, too.)

If you're looking to do more on the administration side, working with servers, network services, and users, I'd say move towards the MCSA/MCSE track. And there's nothing that says you have to do only one or the other. I recently finished my MCSA on Server 2003, and I'm taking some time away from Microsoft to work on CCNA and brush up on Linux. When I'm done with that, I'm going to get back on the MCSE path. (After that, who knows?)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    MCSA is systems administration, CCNA is network engineering. Having both gives one a well rounded set of skills.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I agree with the both, a majority of jobs that I see on careerbuilder and dice want you to have windows administration and cisco skills. CCNA along with MCSE:Messaging is what I plan on persuing next.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    I agree with the both, a majority of jobs that I see on careerbuilder and dice want you to have windows administration and cisco skills. CCNA along with MCSE:Messaging is what I plan on persuing next.

I like it. Im headed pretty much in the same xcept I also want MCSE:Sec
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cessation wrote:
    SRTMCSE wrote:

I'm the same. My job is requiring me to get MCSE:Security which is nice, I've wanted to get MCSE for a while but now they're giving me the kick in the butt to get it which is great. I want to add on Messaging specialization to that as well. Afterwards, I want to get CCNA.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    icroyal wrote:
    Cessation wrote:
    SRTMCSE wrote:

I'm the same. My job is requiring me to get MCSE:Security which is nice, I've wanted to get MCSE for a while but now they're giving me the kick in the butt to get it which is great. I want to add on Messaging specialization to that as well. Afterwards, I want to get CCNA.

Wow thats fantastic Icroyal!
    I wish my job required me go get my MCSE. Although they do pay the 60 bucks per test i really wish they would help me out just a bit more.
    They are kind of like "Certs? thats good that you want them...."

Cess
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Around here, we're only required to have A+ and MCDST for our desktop guys (but I'm their boss so I'm going all the way), but the big boss still reimburses full cost of the exams and they do have free study materials for just about any cert out there.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I am going to put classes at the local community college on hold, and concentrate on passing exam 70-272 and get my MCDST. I don't want to overload myself studying. Concentrating on just one exam at a time just makes more sense.

Having both the MCSA and CCNA would be great, but I want to start with one or the other. Each cert definitely has it's merits. I just want to start working on one or the other after I finish up MCDST.

Of course, I won't completely rule out going back to school for either CCNA or MCSA classes. But, it helps to concentrate on things, one exam at a time, and one cert a time. For me, it just works much better that way. icon_cool.gif