Options

Good reason you're quitting?

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
I hear all the time you never say in an interview that you're looking for a new job b/c of money, management, etc.

The only reason I'm looking elsewhere is money, I love my job and the people I work with but I can't realistically afford to live on the salary they're paying me, well not with a daughter at least. So although money is my only factor, any ideas on what I should say during an interview? Not that I have one lined up yet but the last 2 I had I said money...and got no callback.

Comments

• Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tell them that their is no room for improvement in your current work place and you are looking to further your career.

Saying I want more money shows a company you are not interested in the work, just the money portion.

When asked how much you want to make if they ask that- tell them what you want and that can be negotiable.

Good luck.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    I hear all the time you never say in an interview that you're looking for a new job b/c of money, management, etc.

The only reason I'm looking elsewhere is money, I love my job and the people I work with but I can't realistically afford to live on the salary they're paying me, well not with a daughter at least. So although money is my only factor, any ideas on what I should say during an interview? Not that I have one lined up yet but the last 2 I had I said money...and got no callback.

I should charge you for this j/k - Never say money, let the potential employer think you are more focused on the position at hand(they are) and your career. Simply say you're no longer challenged at your current postion, your skills have exceeded your duties. Ask questions about the position to let them know your feeling the job out to see if it will fit what your seeking. icon_wink.gif Thats the ticket.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    SRTMCSE, listen carefully to what garv221 said. I use that myself with great success.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Nice suggestions, i'll use them if I ever get anymore interviews icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Better opportunity" is a nice general way of indicating that you want to move on without being negative.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    yeah, never bring up money until you reach the offer stage... obviously you want to be sure the position can support the range you want. :P
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Well, speaking as someone who just started a new job today...

When asked why I quit my other job, which I did 2 weeks ago without having another one, I simply told them that there was no room for advancement within that company and also that the direction they were going was not the same one as I saw myself going in. I never once told them it was about money. In fact, anytime they ask what salary I want, I always say the same thing: "It's negotiable" That puts the ball in their court and doesn't shoot down your chances of not getting more.

Good luck!!!
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you say the truth if you had health problems ?.