Options

windows trick's ;)

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
Hello to all !

I come to the idea , that eveyone of you , of whoever want's to present us a Windows XP , or other kind of Windows tip & trick , that he/she found , per day to day working , and of course if he/she want's to share with us , for knowing new thing's !
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Here is a Windows XP Registry Trick:
    [NOTE: Backup your registry before trying anything in it... you can easily make your system unstable, and worse unuseable... forcing you to reload everything from backup (ok... I said backup enought right?!)

Disable XP Shutdown:
    Why?
    It is often good for POS systems and maybe systems you have background services running, where you don't want it to get inadvertantly shutdown.

How?
    Go to the following registry entry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD value called 'NoClose' (without the quotes), and give it a value of '1'.

Reboot the computer for the registry value to take affect.

Okay, Cool, but now how do I close it down?
    You can still close down the XP machine by hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE and selecting Shut Down from there.

How do I restore normal shutdown ability?
    Just delete the DWORD value from the registry, and reboot the machine.
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rcoop wrote:
    Here is a Windows XP Registry Trick:
    [NOTE: Backup your registry before trying anything in it... you can easily make your system unstable, and worse unuseable... forcing you to reload everything from backup (ok... I said backup enought right?!)

Disable XP Shutdown:
    Why?
    It is often good for POS systems and maybe systems you have background services running, where you don't want it to get inadvertantly shutdown.

How?
    Go to the following registry entry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD value called 'NoClose' (without the quotes), and give it a value of '1'.

Reboot the computer for the registry value to take affect.

Okay, Cool, but now how do I close it down?
    You can still close down the XP machine by hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE and selecting Shut Down from there.

How do I restore normal shutdown ability?
    Just delete the DWORD value from the registry, and reboot the machine.
    There's a local group policy setting you can enable that will do this without needing to do all of the things you mentioned above.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so is this a gd practice to do with your running servers?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking