Options

I want your opinion.

cbdouglas2000cbdouglas2000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I live in new Orleans, and i have just completed my 4 day training at best buy and will start in the geek squad on Monday. Now this is the problem yesterday i was offered a job to be a computer tech at Compusa. The job at comp. will pay me $1.50 more per hr. but i already started at best buy. What do you guy think i should do? icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tough one.
    I personally feel integrity is more important than a buck fifty an hour. You committed to BB, stick with them. Explain to CUSA the situation nicely, if things don't work out at BB maybe they will keep you in their records.
    Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I dont think you owe Best Buy anything... stores like that have high turnover rates.

I'd go work for compusa... just be honest with the manager about why you are leaving... They wont match the rate but give him the option.

Best of luck.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    First, congratulations on your job with Best Buy, as well as your job offer with CompUSA.

Although I agree that personal integrity is important, I also feel that you should think of yourself as a business, and make decisions that would be best for the business. You're under a 90 day evaluation period with Best Buy. This evaluation period isn't a one way process. Not only is Best Buy evaluating your fit with their organization...you are also evaluating Best Buy's fit with you.

I'm with Trailerisf, advise the manager at Best Buy that you've received an offer with a competitor for a higher hourly rate. Then provide him with the opportunity to match or exceed the offer. If he's not willing to do so, you'll now have information to make a decision based on what's best for you.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
  • Options
    Trailerisf wrote:
    I dont think you owe Best Buy anything... stores like that have high turnover rates.

That is the kind of attitude that can reveal someone's integrity or lack thereof. It's not what you owe someone, it's what is the right thing to do. What if it was IBM that hired you, and a week later Dell offered you a buck fifty an hour more? If you ran your own business and hired a guy off the street and trained him (with pay) for a week, how would you feel if he left to go work for the competition because they offered him a little higher wage?

If you're okay with any of these scenarios I would have a hard time believing that integrity was important to you. If someone can't use discretion in little things like this, what about when something big comes along? It's easy to justify the little stuff, then later justify the bigger issues (they owe me, I've worked here for 10 years blah blah blah). I see this all the time.

These opinions are not aimed at you or anyone else in particular trailerisf. Just my observations and opinions out for discussion based on your comment. No offence intended toward anyone.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I live in new Orleans, and i have just completed my 4 day training at best buy and will start in the geek squad on Monday. Now this is the problem yesterday i was offered a job to be a computer tech at Compusa. The job at comp. will pay me $1.50 more per hr. but i already started at best buy. What do you guy think i should do? icon_confused.gif

Trailerisf & sprkymrk both made some excellent points. I held the postion that CompUSA is offering you about 5 years ago. I did not like their managment skills and all their hiring/firing was geared by corperate (like many stores). No matter how nice your manager may be, you can still get the axe when he gets call b/c of slow sales. I would stick with Best Buy in this situation, if it was somone else besides CompUSA, I would let the BB manager know about the outside offer. I agree you should be thinking about yourself and with that said staying with BB is the best move. I don't even shop at CompUSA anymore.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be honest $1.50/hr more isn't worth leaving Best Buy. The discount you get with Best Buy is more than enough to make up for that increase in wage; especially when it comes time to buy the big TVs, appliances, and cables. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    depends on how important the money is to you, I mean $1.50 an hour is about an extra $250.00 before taxes. if you really need the cash, go for it. jobs at best buy or compusa are usually stepping stones for most people (in my experience) so if you could really use the extra cash go for it. if you really don't need the money and best buy is a better place to work, stay. just my $0.02.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    depends on how important the money is to you, I mean $1.50 an hour is about an extra $250.00 before taxes. if you really need the cash, go for it. jobs at best buy or compusa are usually stepping stones for most people (in my experience) so if you could really use the extra cash go for it. if you really don't need the money and best buy is a better place to work, stay. just my $0.02.

Very true, an extra $60.00/week before taxes. After a month that extra cash does come in handy.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I have to agree with sprkymrk with respect to integrity. I asked myself: How would you feel as a manager if someone left you after a week of training?

Human beings are [generally] rational species and so the fact that you've raised the question whehter you should leave BB or not comes from your instincts that tells you to stay. If I were you, I would stay not to do a favor to others, but to do a favor to my own integrity and professionalism. Money comes and goes, but integrity is a static charachter which shouldn't be moved back and forth.
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think everyone made good points, its a little early in the relationship to be talking about loyalty. And integraty is a good thing, a great thing to have when you work for someone, a must in fact in life itself. When your a business like porengo stated then these things come with a price$. Not that you should sacrifice integraty for $. However, your skills command a premium. I'm just spouting, it sounds like you need to look at the whole package and make a decision based on that. Me, I'm like a whore. I go where the $ at, and provide a service.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have known several people who have worked for CompUSA and one who is currently with Best Buy.

To me it seems to me that there is more opportunity for advancement at Best Buy with the Geek Squad. My buddy was an in-store tech then recently got a position as a double agent (driving the bug around to people’s houses) where he is now making something like $4 per hour more has benefits and other perks. Not to mention the discounts are great for a BB employee.

He is currently looking to get into their Special Agent position (moves away from residential customers to Commercial/business customers). This will give him another nice pay increase if he gets it.

Just something to think about…
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Retail companies like Best Buy and Compusa have high turnover rates, people leave without a 2-week's notice all the time. An extra $1.50/hr is a lot for the wage you will be getting.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In this case, I'd say go with the CompUSA job. Explain to your boss at Best Buy that you've gotten a better offer, and head on out. Places like CompUSA (which I've worked at) and Best Buy aren't exactly the most people-friendly places. They can find someone else to replace you, and I don't think they'll hold a grudge. And if they do. . . well, they'll have a lot of other people to get mad at in the turnstyle they call their HR department. Go for the better-paying job, get the experience you need, and move on to brighter shores.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Trailerisf wrote:

That is the kind of attitude that can reveal someone's integrity or lack thereof. It's not what you owe someone, it's what is the right thing to do. What if it was IBM that hired you, and a week later Dell offered you a buck fifty an hour more? If you ran your own business and hired a guy off the street and trained him (with pay) for a week, how would you feel if he left to go work for the competition because they offered him a little higher wage?

If you're okay with any of these scenarios I would have a hard time believing that integrity was important to you. If someone can't use discretion in little things like this, what about when something big comes along? It's easy to justify the little stuff, then later justify the bigger issues (they owe me, I've worked here for 10 years blah blah blah). I see this all the time.

These opinions are not aimed at you or anyone else in particular trailerisf. Just my observations and opinions out for discussion based on your comment. No offence intended toward anyone.
    I pick companies and stick with them. The places I have worked I have grown through the ranks so much that eventually I end up as a partner... (recently moved into IT from the stock market due to stress) So you are not even close to me with your assesment... (wasn't offended)

My point with Best Buy was that he is not GUARANTEED a future there. They invested a small amount of time/resources into him. He could have been a flake and mooned his first customer Monday morning. These are the chances that they take. That is built into their corporate model. They aren't expecting to keep "lifers". They are formed around the concept of untrained disposable staff from which they can make $50/hr profit.

If done maturely, he informs his boss about the other position and gives them the opportunity to match the offer. They will obviously decline and he moves on. His bridge will be burned with this Best Buy.

This is business. You have to look at it as such.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Trailerisf wrote:
    I pick companies and stick with them. The places I have worked I have grown through the ranks so much that eventually I end up as a partner... (recently moved into IT from the stock market due to stress) So you are not even close to me with your assesment... (wasn't offended)
    That wasn't my assessment of you specifically, just in general. I'm glad you weren't offended though, thanks.
    Trailerisf wrote:
    This is business. You have to look at it as such.
    I don't think you can seperate business from integrity. None of the points you mentioned about Best Buy and turnover and profit have any bearing. If you agreed to work for Scrooge at a buck an hour, you should do it. As this situation stands, he never worked for BB, he just took the paid training. He needs to give them a fair shake before he leaves IMO. I respect your opinion Trailerisf, I just have to repectfully disagree friend. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Money talks, BS walks
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Quit your job and get a degree.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stick with Best Buy. That extra buck fifty an hour now isn't going to compare to the discounts and the advancement potential at BB. Just don't burn your bridge with Compusa, let them know you were already hired by them, thank them for their time, and if things don't work out you would like to join their team or something.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cbdouglas2000cbdouglas2000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I chose to go with comp because the position they offered me was full time. I informed best buy of the offer and they offered me a dollar more than they were ( still a little less than comp.) but could not offer me a full time position. :)
  • Options
    Djmario30Djmario30 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You did the right thing there!Good Luck!!! :D
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you're in an expensive market you probably asked for too much, but if they think you'll take the job they'll call you back with what they think you need to be paid, they need the commission.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Awesome choice. And extra $1.50/hr + guaranteed full time. Good luck, man.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    I would go for the job with less stress. An' hottest chicks!!!