Options

How do I clear everything from my screen in my 2500 router?

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there a command to clear your screen of everything but the exec prompt something like the "cls" command in DOS? A while back suggested the "clrscrn" but that didn't help.

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am sure that I have no idea what you are referring to nor do many others. Your 2500 router does not have a screen. If you mean your communications terminal program then that is different and there are at least a half dozen different communications programs in general use. The OS, windows or Linux also comes into play. If you are using hyperterminal and you want to clear the scroll back buffer then just go to edit and you should find clear visible screen and clear backscroll buffer. Press enter to redisplay the prompt.

As I recall the version that comes with windows has several bugs and you want to go to hilgraeve and update it to the free private version called HyperTerminal PE. Go get it here http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/index.html

Oh if you are having problems with messages overwriting your lines while you type then you might try adding these commands to your config

line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    logging synchronous

The first stops the router from timing out and printing the con0 is now available and press return to get started messages while you are reading your books

The second command makes sure that output messages do not get written on the line that you are typing on.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I'm already familiar with the logging-synchronous command but that's not what I'm looking for.
    If you are familiar with DOS and understand what the cls command does then you
    should have got the gist of what I meant to say but thanks anyway.
    Oh, I posted this topic once before and at least one person understood what I meant icon_wink.gif
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9172
  • Options
    Yes I am more than familiar with the DOS command and CP/M and Xenix and Unix commands that predate it. I even know what a tab card and a asr33 are and have used real VT100 terminals, being one of the oldest fossils here.

What I am asking is do you realize that the screen in this case only exists in your communications program and has nothing to do with the routers or switches that you are talking to. It is a function of the program that you use and nothing more.

Just to be sure that last nights dinner wine was not talking to me I tried your suggested command on 3640, 6 different models of 2500 and a couple of 26x0 routers; 2950, 3500, 2924, 1924 switches. As you probably know unless you prevent it a DNS lookup will be attempted.

Cisco equipment only contains history command buffers. To clear the screen would be telling the Cisco equipment to know what it is talking to as in a reverse command line. I made the assumption that you understood that you are talking basically to a serial line and no more intelligent method. That serial line in the router has no concept of a 80 char by 24 line screen. It does understand what you have typed in before pressing enter but that is all.

So that leaves you with the methods programmed into the communications program of your choice.

Sorry if you felt offended.

Cheers
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    TheShadow wrote:
    I am sure that I have no idea what you are referring to nor do many others.
    BS. I immediatly knew what he was referring to, and I even had "cls" in mind before I even clicked on the thread.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    doh! icon_confused.gif i need to take some creative writing classes.
    mucha graicias senhor.
  • Options
    Jammywanks wrote:
    TheShadow wrote:
    I am sure that I have no idea what you are referring to nor do many others.
    BS. I immediatly knew what he was referring to, and I even had "cls" in mind before I even clicked on the thread.

OK, I guess you tried it too. I am guilty of assuming that people try things, or look them up first. More of that all the world is windows stuff again. Unfortunately we still refer to things unfamilar from actual use like DEC VT series terminals.

I am out of this thread. bye.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kadshah wrote:
    Oh, I posted this topic once before and at least one person understood what I meant icon_wink.gif
    Perhaps, but that person gave you the wrong answer. TheShadow, OTOH, gave you the right answer. So, which do you want, warm fuzzies or the right answer? TheShadow was just trying to get you to understand the answer and the reasons behind it without spoon feeding you.

The bottom line is that IOS provides no such command. If you want screen clearing capability you will have to investigate the features of whatever comm program you are using. Also, as The Shadow said your OS and even some other factors such as emulation mode, soft key configuration, etc. may influence the final solution.

Since you haven't provided any of that info no one can assist you further.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheShadow wrote:
    Yes I am more than familiar with the DOS command and CP/M and Xenix and Unix commands that predate it. I even know what a tab card and a asr33 are and have used real VT100 terminals, being one of the oldest fossils here.
    Geez, an ASR-33?? I thought I was starting to petrify and I only go back to the DECwriter/VT05 days...

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/terminet.html

From one fossil to another icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    I'm not 100% sure that it will work

Wrong answer?
    which do you want, warm fuzzies or the right answer?
    heh! don't know about you but i think i've had enough with this topic.
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    The router does not have a screen buffer. It sends one character at a time, and that's it. Well, it does have a command history, which you can clear, but I don't think you are referring to that.

It is your terminal program, for example, hyperterminal, that is scrolling the previous parts of the conversation up the screen so that you can still see it. The router/switch has no such concept. Once the router/switch sent the line, it doesn't keep it. So if you want to clear the screen, you have to issue the command to the terminal software, not the router.

To clarify this more, some terminal SW can be configured to display more or less than 25 lines. You may in fact set the SW to only display 2 lines, or change it to display 80 lines.

As for DOS, even DOS itself doesn't really display all the lines, but rather the user interface for DOS. In the DOS command prompt under Windows, you can change the line buffer size and the windo from 20 lines to 200 lines. The command CLS is sent to the window to clear the display history.

You could use a teletype just as well for the router. Because of the paper, you would have nearly infinite lines of history, but you couldn't clear them. That is only a function of a video based terminal.
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    I use TeraTerm terminal emulator. Under the edit button on the toolbar is a "clear screen" option. Works just fine. Get an emulator you can do that with.
  • Options
    i'll check out TeraTerm terminal emulator.
    Thanks guys.