Need a certain cable

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Hello everyone, haven't been on here for a while! Hope you've all been great.

I am in need of a certain cable that goes from my DSL modem straight to the wall jack. It's not a standard RJ11 cable, although the jack is RJ11. I can tell that the pinout is different. It is labled as "CAT 5 Patch Cable." Anyone here seen an RJ11 patch cable being sold? I can't seem to locate one.
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Vask3n wrote:

I am in need of a certain cable that goes from my DSL modem straight to the wall jack. It's not a standard RJ11 cable, although the jack is RJ11. I can tell that the pinout is different. It is labled as "CAT 5 Patch Cable." Anyone here seen an RJ11 patch cable being sold? I can't seem to locate one.

A CAT 5 Patch Cable is normally a RJ45 cable to go to your Ethernet card or router. While you could use CAT 5 to the wall jack on a RJ11 but what would be the point because behind the wall plug is CAT 3 or less cable. In either case any computer or electronics store can sell you one. Any pre-made CAT-5 100 ft or less is called a patch cable.

In a pinch if it is a wall plug cable then a normal cable used for signal or dual phone lines should work. That is all they normally send with the westell modems used by Verizon DSL which just ship with a standard 26avg two wire RJ11. I ended up with a spare modem due to first level support being convinced the modem was bad until the engineers figured out a bad DSLAM was it. The brand of modem that I had before was no different.

So I am looking at an unopened cable pack which includes such in standard gray along with a CAT5 RJ45 cable for the Ethernet connection in yellow and a USB cable in blue in case you have no Ethernet connection. The wall plug cable is a two wire connector red green on the RJ11. They even cheap-ed out and have only two of the gold pins in it meaning any old phone cable will work.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Vask3n wrote:

What brand of modem do you have?

I've used 2wire and they generally have adapters available, or you can buy them at a Verizon store as mentioned.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Also what you might need is a DSL filter for your phones. But don't use the filter on your DSL connection, since the filter's job is to remove the DSL for the device connecting to it.