Disabling debug output

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
When the console is being overrun with a debug is there a way to disable the
debug or you must do a reboot?
I was playing with hsrp, i set the timer to msec 15 45, as you can imagine lots of hellos arrive, when i try to type undebug all i get no response as the console is too busy, any solution apart from reboot? Also i had no telnet access, as i know that would be a way.But any other way via console?
Thanks..
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Sounds like your CPU was at 100% making it difficult or impossible to get a command entered. Sometimes a lull occurs where the command will be accepted so you might attempt "u all" and wait for a couple of minutes to see if it takes. If it doesn't, a power cycle is about your only alternative, On a production network, you won't have the luxury of waiting a few minutes and may need to power cycle sooner to get the network back up.

Yankee
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yankee wrote:
    Sounds like your CPU was at 100% making it difficult or impossible to get a command entered. Sometimes a lull occurs where the command will be accepted so you might attempt "u all" and wait for a couple of minutes to see if it takes. If it doesn't, a power cycle is about your only alternative, On a production network, you won't have the luxury of waiting a few minutes and may need to power cycle sooner to get the network back up.

Yankee

Ok, thanks, just taught i'd ask incase there was and if it happens on a live network in the future.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You should be able to type 'u all' even if it gets broken up by subsequent router output.
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    "u all" will definitely work, but as Yankee stated it could take a couple of minutes or longer to finally stop the process.
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    By the way, just what were you debugging to cause your problem? I suspect I know, but just want to be sure because most debugs will not cause the problem you saw.

As a side note there are other causes for high cpu which will give the same symptom where you can't get a command entered. Depending on the cause the solution may be different. Meaning a reload may solve the issue momentarily until the traffic returns to a high state, but the problem would return if you are not quick enough to address it.

Yankee