Options

Job question...

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
I was just curious, most job postings I see require a tech to be able to handle routers/switches, and servers/workstations.

Is there really such thing as a job that only requires you to be responsible for routers/switches portion of the network???

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    icon_lol.gif Yes, but those jobs require advanced or expert knowledge in switching and routing. You won't be able to perform those jobs with just a CCNA and no strong experience. Acquire some server/ workstation skills to make yourself more marketable.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Cool, I've been working with XP workstations for a long time, and Server 2003/Exchange 2003 for the last year. So I have some good experience with that.

A cert might help it along though...
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    homer,
    look for the jobs listed as "network engineer." They should be just network gear although there's no rule about what the brainiacs in HR have to name a job.

You may also want to keep an eye on the NOC jobs. My job involves troubleshooting and configuring only network gear. They are out there and at the entry level. My job requires a CCNA. A total of 0/11 employees in my dept actually have a CCNA.
  • Options
    MAC_GLASGOWMAC_GLASGOW Inactive Imported Users Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

bit of newbie, what's a NOC job?
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    NOC is the Network Operations Center and in many situations equates to "light watching". This means watching and reacting to network alarms. Usually this is a first level of troubleshooting position where escalation to senior NOC or engineering members happens quickly. Generally speaking this is the network equivalent of the tier 1 Help Desk position.

Having said that, all NOCs are not created equally and some do much higher level work than others, so one should not automatically assume a NOC member is a beginner.

Yankee
  • Options
    david_r wrote:
    homer,
    look for the jobs listed as "network engineer." They should be just network gear although there's no rule about what the brainiacs in HR have to name a job.

You may also want to keep an eye on the NOC jobs. My job involves troubleshooting and configuring only network gear. They are out there and at the entry level. My job requires a CCNA. A total of 0/11 employees in my dept actually have a CCNA.
    David, I hear you about HR! haha, But thank you so much for the advice. I kind of want to stray away from end user support and concentrate on networks.
    Currently I'm employed in a small consulting company (just me and my boss). We setup alot of small companies, stub networks etc... Great experience, as I've gotten alot of exposure, but I'm seeking certs in hopes of opening doors to something bigger (job wise and $$$-wise).
  • Options
    mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote:
    david_r wrote:
    homer,

David, I hear you about HR! haha, But thank you so much for the advice. I kind of want to stray away from end user support and concentrate on networks.
    Currently I'm employed in a small consulting company (just me and my boss). We setup alot of small companies, stub networks etc... Great experience, as I've gotten alot of exposure, but I'm seeking certs in hopes of opening doors to something bigger (job wise and $$$-wise).

Get more experience another cert or two and get a gov't clearance. Go Public Sector, thats where the $$ is .
    Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!
  • Options
    skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    mp3spy wrote:
    homerj742 wrote:
    david_r wrote:
    homer,

Get more experience another cert or two and get a gov't clearance. Go Public Sector, thats where the $$ is .
    Just curious, how do you go about getting a clearance?
  • Options
    zero-g-smithzero-g-smith Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im curious as well. My mother works for the USDA and has told me that when their network goes down they have some cisco people come in and save there offices.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    If you're talking security clearance, there's only one way. Have an employer that needs you to get it. Kinda like experience.