Options

Configure 2610 router in the LAN

vixervixer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, Everyone

I'm having problem finding or seeing the router in the lan. I have configure the following in the router.

Router#Config t
Router(config)#int e0/0
Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.0.120 255.255.255.0
Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Do I need to configure the int s0

What ip should I see the S0? I can't ping or see the router. I need to see the router in the LAN to backup the IOS and upgrade the IOS.

Please any help will be gladly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    umm. are u using a switch? if so are u on the same vlan as the router and appart of the same subnet
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you should provide some more info, I am little confused from what I have read..
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    What is the IP stack configuration on a host that can't 'see' the router?
  • Options
    The setup is link this. I have a DLINK router as main gateway for internet access. In another room I have DLINK switch where the router and the 2 computers are connected. I have one computer connected directly via console to the router and the other computer I'm using it as a FTPT server to backup IOS and upgrade IOS.
  • Options
    bbbngowcbbbngowc Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Firstly, what devices are plugged into the dlink?

Internet --> Dlink --> ?

If you have the routers and the server hosting the TFTP Server then the routers doesn't need to see each other just the Dlink Router IP and the TFTP Server.

If there's a Cisco switch in your network then you need to make sure you're in the same vlan as the TFTP Server.
  • Options
    Dlink router is connected to the dsl modem in the main room. In my room I have a Dlink switch with the router and both computer. I'm connected to the Dlink router via hard wire. Basically, I need to upgrade the cisco IOS and I thought I can practise adding a workstation as a FTPT server and have the router backup or upgrade IOS from the ftpt server. Should I disconnect the Dlink switch from the Dlink router? or should I plug in the switch only to the router and both worstation.
  • Options
    Your WS has to be a TFTP server, not just an FTP server, just so you know.

As BBBngow said, your DLink router shouldn't have anything to do with connecting between the PC and the Cisco.
    However, the PC and the Cisco have to be on the same subnet.

So, as I asked before, what's your PC IP stack look like? In other words, what does IPConfig give you?
  • Options
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.110
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

This is my IP stack.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    Look at layer 1 first. Then look at layer 2 and then layer 3.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you do a show int is the ethernet up and up?
    Do you have a firewall enabled on the pc blocking the ping?
    Is the NIC on the pc showing good?
    Do you have a crosscable to connect both router and pc directly?
    Have you any config on the router? like an access-list on eth port?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Although it shouldn't matter since the router's interface in question is on the same physical segment, the default gateway doesn't match the router's interface IP, which means the router would not get packets not specifically addressed to it. The router would not be routing any packets from the PC, as packets to be routed would be sent to 192.168.0.1.

But assuming there are no layer 1/2 problems, the router should be able to be managed and pinged from the PC.
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, Danman is absolutely right....in ur router u have configured address as
    192.168.0.120 and in ur PC u are putting defaul gateway as 192.168.0.1 . either change ur default gateway to 192.168.0.120 in ur PC or change the Ip address of interface to 192.168.0.120.

thanx
  • Options
    change the Ip address of interface to 192.168.0.120

You mean 192.168.0.1, don't you?

Anyway, as I said, you still should be able to telnet to 192.168.0.120 from the PC since both addresses are on the same LAN. But you wouldn't be able to go behind that interface on the router unless the router with 192.168.0.1 had a route table entry that forwarded to the Cisco router(s) in question.

Be one with the packet. Follow it's path and all will be revealed.
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well for telnetting you need to enable telnetting at the rouer with #line vty 0 4 command. if u haven't configured the router for telnetting ..u can't telnet its interface.