Options

no routes shown, but can ping !!!!

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
i've connected several routers thru ethernet switch(serial is disabled/no ip) and tried RIP, RIP2 and default routes. the problem is, i can ping every interface, but doesn't show any routes when sh ip route is run.

is this normal ?. or routing only works on serial interface ?. or do i need to run any other commands ?.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    no route ? it have to show something , it's spooky icon_eek.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    macwhizard wrote:
    i've connected several routers thru ethernet switch(serial is disabled/no ip) and tried RIP, RIP2 and default routes. the problem is, i can ping every interface, but doesn't show any routes when sh ip route is run.

is this normal ?. or routing only works on serial interface ?. or do i need to run any other commands ?.

thanks in advance.
    If all the routers are connected to the same subnet there wont be routes.Try create a loopback interface 100.100.100.100 255.255.255.255 and advertise it with rip, router rip, network 100.0.0.0, it will appear in the other routers tables.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ip route shows routers own ip's. but it shows full details when cdp is run icon_rolleyes.gif really spooky

routers run IOS ver 11, 12 & 12.2.
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should see route to directly connected network pointing on router's ethernet interface. If no, you have a problem.
    Router will put directly connected networks to routing table, if:
    - interface is up/up
    - inteface has correct IP assigned

If routers are showing directly connected networks in routing table, it is normal, nothing spooky about it (default behavior, routing for directly connected networks). You cannot see any RIP routes in routing table becouse there is nothing to advertise for RIP and nothing new to learn in that network. As ed_the_lad sad, try loopback interface and you'll see that this new route will be propagated and you'll see it on all routers as RIP ("R") route.

And before you start doing labs, you should know at least some basic theory.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    But would SH IP Route show directly connected networks if only one interface is connected and up? I don't have a Cisco router that I could try this with. I would suspect it would though.
  • Options
    i had loopback setup on all ruters, but it didn't show not even subnets. it started working well after i reloaded IOS on all routers. strange.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Supposing that the interfaces a re on different networks (i.e. pinging a loopback from another router), this may be a case of proxy ARP. Basicaly, a router can answer ARP requests on behalf of another host. Check out http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094adb.shtml

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanx Bro...
    was a good link