Options

answers to a few questions asked on this board

kulkarni_anupamkulkarni_anupam Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi
i just cleared my exam today. got 873. basically screwed it on WAN questions.
anyway comming to doubts regarding simulation questions posted on this board.
1. i read a few posts where people have said that they could not save the running config.
Answer : most probably you were not in the global configuration mode.
remember you cannot do a copy run start from a (config)# prompt. you have to be in the global congif mode i.e. router#.
2. I read a post earlier about rip config and where you are asked to find the mistake in configuration.
Answer: I had this sort of question today. the steps to follow while debugging are as follows.
xxx
f. use ping
g. dont forget to use copy run start. and at the proper prompt.
h. i nearly forgot. dont forget to check if the clock rate is set.
another advice for you guys.
dont forget how to subnet using ip subnet zero command. and not only when you have a /25 or /17 subnet mask. try doing it with other subnet masks too. i had a question on this topic.

had quite a few questions on WAN at the begining and i screwed them up.
had a few questions on subnetting
had three questions in which i was given the output of the sh run command and asked to find wht was wrong.

hope you guys get a good idea of the questions and the places where you can go wrong.
note: do not DO NOT configure the worng interface. man is a creature of habit and invariably we tyoe in int s0 before configuring int s1
thankfully for me i did not have to configure s0 and s1 on the same router or i would have lost time there.
look at the clock. i did it comfortably with 5 mins to spare
hmmm this is kind of a long post.

all the best
enjoy ur tests.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I removed half your post, because you disclosed too much actual exam information... does the "Certification Agreement" ring any bells?
  • Options
    kulkarni_anupamkulkarni_anupam Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i dont think i gave out any details of the exam
    i did however specify how I would debug a sim question.
    hope that does not go against any rules.
  • Options
    You are not allowed to disclose any information about the contents of the exam. Certainly decribing how the RIP sim needs to be solved is way too much detail. I don't mind if you inform people about a RIP sim being on the exam because it is mentioned in the exam topics as published by Cisco (Configure Rip..) but giving the solution to a sim is of course not allowed. You might want to re-read the agreement. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    bravo369bravo369 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is what I don't like about many of these forums. I've seen the RIP sim and I couldn't find anything wrong with the config either so I just setup each interface on each router. So when I saw that other people had the same question, I figured "great, I can get an answer so I know what to do" but then the post gets editted and I still don't know what to do. it's one stupid question.

Now I'm going to ask a question but watch this get editted also and then I still won't find out the answer. I got questions referring to setting the management interface. now what is the management interface? I checked 2 books I used to study and neither referred to any interface as that. So what is it?
  • Options
    Well, we take the certification agreement seriously. And if you don't like these forums because of that... don't post ;)

There is a big difference in discussing the topics that are on the exam (as made public by Cisco) and describing a step in a router simulator. As for questions not related to simulators, as long as it doesn't include the 'choices' (answers) or exact scenario's, you can ask anything.
    I got questions referring to setting the management interface. now what is the management interface?
    You could have left out the first sentence right...? there is no need to tell what you got on the exam.

As for the sims: cisco added these to increase the value of the CCNA cert (which you want to get.), it requires more than book knowledge, it requires skills (which some can learn from books though). There won't be anyone holding your hand in a real-world scenario to talk you thru configuring RIP in a small network.

I believe your question has been answered in one of the previous posts... icon_wink.gif