Options

CCDA Once Again

kai16181kai16181 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, im new here, I've just rebooked my CCDA for October the first and was wondering whether anyone had any views on using Flashcards and Questions such as those from Sybex etc.

Really would like to pass this one this time as i know the stuff but as others often do, interpreting Cisco's questionning can sometimes be the tough part.

Any views? :D
Many Thanks, Kai

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kai16181 wrote:
    wondering whether anyone had any views on using Flashcards and Questions such as those from Sybex etc.
    Sybex? From the Sybex CCDA book? Unless they came out with a new edition, that book doesn't cover the topics in the exam blueprint anymore -- but the authors are good.

The Cisco Press Flash Cards helped a lot -- the exam questions on the other hand..... I did great on one pass through the exam questions -- the best I ever did on Cisco Flash Card Exam Questions (98%) :D But doing well on the Flash Card test questions did not translate to doing good on the CCDA exam.... I passed, but only by 37 points. All the other Flash Cards I used, the exam questions seemed to be a good indication of success on the real exam -- even the CCDP part of the CCDA/CCDP flash cards/exams worked like I was used to.

The Cisco Press Flash Cards also has a Reference Sheet PDF on the CD -- that was great for review.

The Teare book and Top-Down Network Design 2nd Edition were the best for CCDA Study (along with the Flash Cards).

I did totally underestimate the IP Telephony topic in the blueprint -- I expected more in the CCDP exam, but that was even easier than the CCDA. I even remember looking at the line or 2 in the blueprint when I got home.... and wondering what the heck those idiots were thinking when they came up with those questions. Now that I have the CCVP -- I still wonder about it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    One question Mike,

I am thinking of sitting for CCDA before CCNA (book problem). Will I be wasting my time or you think I can give CCDA before CCNA with no problems?

It looks CCDA is more "conceptual" than CCNA. By the Way Diane Teare book is great.
  • Options
    I am thinking of sitting for CCDA before CCNA (book problem). Will I be wasting my time or you think I can give CCDA before CCNA with no problems?
    The requirement for the CCDA is "CCNA Level Knowledge"..... and even then some of the design stuff you do might require a CCNP to actually implement -- which is fine, since you'd be tested on the design stuff, not the implementation stuff.

But it is a fluffy-topic design cert, at a low level (compared to the requirements for the CCDP). I still consider this more of a pre-sales design cert -- good for the techie sales support guy who goes out on calls with sales critters for meetings with non-techie business wonks.

If you've gone through the CCNA material -- even a high level overview -- you should be fine. So you should have some CCNA material exposure -- you just don't need to be anywhere near ready to pass the CCNA exam.

Make sure you gone over the CCDA Exam Blueprint with a fine tooth comb.... and the Reference Sheet PDF file if you get the Cisco Press Flash Cards.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    If you've gone through the CCNA material -- even a high level overview -- you should be fine.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info! I already read the 4th edition of CCNA Study Guide from Sybex. Still, I'm waiting from amazon the 5th ed to re-read it and sit for CCNA.

What do you mean by "CCDA Exam Blueprint"? I have Diane Teare book, and I'll use it as my primary study guide... and maybe only.

Saludos Amigo!
  • Options
    What do you mean by "CCDA Exam Blueprint"? I have Diane Teare book, and I'll use it as my primary study guide... and maybe only.
    Yeah, why do we call it the Exam Blueprint? Its the Exam information page, or the exam topic page -- the webpage where Cisco tells you about the exams.

640-861 640-861 DESGN
  • Options
    Right!!!! Thank you Mike!!

I'll let you know how I go.... hope good... It's my first Cisco exam. icon_twisted.gif

Saludos amigo.