Options

NAT at Home

frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
Hey all,

I was just reading about NAT, and quite excited about it too. Just one problem, I have a DSL connection at home with a Linksys router. The book teaches you how to do it on a Cisco 2501 Router, but how could I apply NAT to my real world situation. Just like in the book I want to translate to a e-mail server, webserver, and DNS server. Can I do this with this equipment? If not, what do I have to buy so I can effectively run NAT at home.

If this has been discussed and someone knows the thread please be so kidn to point me to it.

thanks for taking time out of your day to read my post.

-Frank

Comments

• Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    Frank,
    The primary purpose of your Linksys router is to run NAT/overload or PAT. Did you try reading the user manual icon_lol.gif It really depends on which Linksys router you have. On mine, I'd first have to disable DHCP, then I'd go to the advanced tab, click on forwarding and away I'd go. If you have windoze boxes, please make sure they are secure.

If you want to go Cisco, a 2514 with one ethernet port bared to the world and the other to a switch would get you going. Or you could use a couple 2501s back to back.

You're also going to need dynamic DNS if youre cable router gets it's IP via DHCP.

Exactly why do you want a DNS and email server on your network available from outside?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm planning on doing that in my home lab as well. My 2514 is coming soon. I dont think you can do it with a 2501, because it only has one ethernet port. I found these threads that seem to be really helpful.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4328
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4727

Read those in order, the guy figured it out in the first thread, then talked more about it in his second thread.

Cheers.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    bighorn,
    That's why you run the 2501s back to back. No home high-speed service is going to beat the 4Mbs you can run over the serial link.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    david_r wrote:
    bighorn,
    That's why you run the 2501s back to back. No home high-speed service is going to beat the 4Mbs you can run over the serial link.

Really? I didnt know that back-to-back 25xx would work for NAT....hmm. VERY interesting.

ps. My cable connection at home is 6Mbps.
    icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Both ways icon_wink.gif I sometime forget it's a big world out there. I should have said most. Enjoy it while you can and tell all the neighbors how bad it is to discourage them from getting it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    david_r wrote:
    bighorn,

Roadrunner will. They upped the cap to 8Mbps several months ago.
    For some more money, you can get 10 or 15Mbs and it's still considered residential.