Options

Multiple Microsoft Certification Paths at once?

Hello -

Just curious what you all think....

I have been a programmer for years and got thrust into a network admin job, I had originally thought of getting an MCPD (C# enterprise level) and stopping at that.

But now that I am doing both Server Admin and Programming, I want to get both an MCSE and an MCPD.

Just passed 70-270 (XP tward MCSE) last friday and starting on 70-290 this weekend...my question is should I do one path at a time or chase both at once.

Not sure if it is evn possible but would I be able to go after both certification paths at once and maintain my sanity icon_lol.gif

Some of my friends say do both at the same time to get them both out of the way, and yet others are saying focus on MCSE and then once obtained go after an MCPD to avoid getting burned out.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're not administering Microsoft firewalls, routing, DNS, etc., then you should stop at the MCSA IMO. Sounds like you already have a full plate.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My first thought would be to do them one at a time. At least, one test at a time. It depends on your level of experience, though. If you feel like you can breeze through the MCSD tests, and that your prior programming experience is enough to "know" you can pass those tests with minimal amounts of review, I'd say focus your studies on the MCSE and take them however you feel you can. The same goes if you feel you have admin experience enough so that you can review for the MCSE tests.

Feel your way through, figure out what's going to work best for you, in your situation, and take on the work you think you can handle.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.