Top Secret Clearance...should I be worried?

bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
Hello -

Got a call from a head hunter that ultimatly lead me to the local federal center and a company called NCI Inc that contracts directly to the DOD.

While I can not go into details (for obvious reasons) about the job position and the duties...I can however say it uses both my programming and networking skills.

The job requires Security+ within 6 months (fortunatly I have this cert) and show progress tward an MCSE (the word progress is not defined...I imagine one test could be considered progress).

The interview went VERY well...they basically told me that if this were the public sector that I would have been hired on the spot...but goverment jobs require security clearances.

The position would require a high end clearance (don't remeber the acyronm) that would cost them upward of about $24k to perform, they did tell me that employees may be sent out to ask people I know about me, like my coworkers, the people next door, etc etc.

Does anyone know what type of things they are looking for - I mean do they go through your trash, emails, phone calls, etc etc or do they just do a background check?

Comments

• reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Does anyone know what type of things they are looking for - I mean do they go through your trash, emails, phone calls, etc etc or do they just do a background check?

Many people I work with have high end clearances (including myself). The most common is TS/SCI (top secret). To get the clearance, the Office of Personnel Management will do a background check, check your financial and credit information, and interview various references that you provide to them. Your friends and family will probably tell you that they were interviewed by some government person about your clearance. The interviewer will act professionally and will ask your references questions about your background, how they know you, what your character is like, and if there is any reason for you not to be loyal to the United States. It's pretty painless, but it's sometimes a long process. I had to wait for my high end clearance for over a year. Hope that helps. PM me if you have any more questions.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    reloaded wrote:

Many people I work with have high end clearances (including myself). The most common is TS/SCI (top secret). To get the clearance, the Office of Personnel Management will do a background check, check your financial and credit information, and interview various references that you provide to them. Your friends and family will probably tell you that they were interviewed by some government person about your clearance. The interviewer will act professionally and will ask your references questions about your background, how they know you, what your character is like, and if there is any reason for you not to be loyal to the United States. It's pretty painless, but it's sometimes a long process. I had to wait for my high end clearance for over a year. Hope that helps. PM me if you have any more questions.

Ya they had said six months minimum - during that time I would be working there but not allowed to actually touch their network.

Thanks - your post cleared up a lot of my questions, will send you a PM if anything pops up icon_lol.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Basically they are looking for any skeletons in your closet. Criminal records and credit are easy. they are looking for any drug use, alcohol use, unsavory friendships, subversive activities, like that.

I had a COSMIC clearance back in the day. They will find stuff you had forgotten about. Yes, they do go talk to old associates. they look for things that a foreign agent could use to coherse you into a compromising position.

Everybody has got something in their past. just be forthright and you'll be fine. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Once you have filled out the necessary paperwork for your TS (and there is a bunch of it) and they start the process, you will also be interviewed by an investigator. The important thing to remember in this interview is for you to be totally honest. If you've smoked dope, tell 'em you have, tell them everything. Using drugs in your past doesn't disqualify you from having a TS clearance (as long as you haven't used them recently or are currently using them). It's far better to tell them than to have them find out from the numerous interviews they conduct with others who have known you.

They will talk to the references you've put in your application, and when they talk to those people, they will ask them if they know anyone who knows you and they will talk to them. Don't think they will only talk to those you've listed.

I've known a few who have lied on their application, lied in their interview, and then during the investigation process were found to have been lying. Not only did these people not get their TS clearance, they also lost their lower level clearance and their job.
    Good advice guys thanks....was kinda wondering how to handle this....as you say everyone has a past.
    In case anyone is following this thread, I found a very good artical...

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm

and case studies

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I think this thread is a good indication of what to expect when getting a security clearance, at least one that comes when you work in some function that is cooperating with the federal government. Just be honest and cooperative with the interviewer, it's not really any different than a typical job interview, only with fewer and more direct questions. :D
    Reloaded~4~Ever
    reloaded wrote:
    I think this thread is a good indication of what to expect when getting a security clearance, at least one that comes when you work in some function that is cooperating with the federal government. Just be honest and cooperative with the interviewer, it's not really any different than a typical job interview, only with fewer and more direct questions. :D

I have to agree with that....filling out the application for SF86-TS clearance....they want a lot of information that goes back about a decade.

Heck I have a hard time remembering where I was yesterday let alone 10 years ago icon_lol.gif
  • akshunjakshunj Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bcairns wrote:
    Hello -

Got a call from a head hunter that ultimatly lead me to the local federal center and a company called NCI Inc that contracts directly to the DOD.

While I can not go into details (for obvious reasons) about the job position and the duties...I can however say it uses both my programming and networking skills.

The job requires Security+ within 6 months (fortunatly I have this cert) and show progress tward an MCSE (the word progress is not defined...I imagine one test could be considered progress).

The interview went VERY well...they basically told me that if this were the public sector that I would have been hired on the spot...but goverment jobs require security clearances.

The position would require a high end clearance (don't remeber the acyronm) that would cost them upward of about $24k to perform, they did tell me that employees may be sent out to ask people I know about me, like my coworkers, the people next door, etc etc.

The TS clearance is thoroughly investigated. They (the DSS and/or FBI) will go and talk to people, verify you attended school where you say, etc. As long as your credit is ok, you've never been arrested you'll be fine. Don't lie about anything, make sure what you say and put on the security questionierre can be verified.

Now, if you need a top secret SSIR (special investigation required) then be prepared to have them checking in your underwear drawer.

I work for a defense contractor and we do some rather sensitive communications work for the DoD and other agencies. I see lot's of people denied clearances, most for lying about criminal history or credit background. Every so often someone is actually denied for having very bad credit or major criminal convictions. There's an occasional young college grad who fails a piss test too.
  • akshunjakshunj Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    forbesl wrote:
    The important thing to remember in this interview is for you to be totally honest.

Couldn't agree with you more.