Options

User Profiles.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

As some of you know, I am going through the learning curve of this exam.

I just have a quick question for some of you.

You can setup roaming profiles on a Windows XP machine, doing this you can keep the profile on a server to increase security and to protect the files if the machine crashes.

I get that, but... what's the difference between logging in locally, using roaming profiles as to logging into a domain and using roaming profiles?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    logging in locally will store the user profile on the workstation's harddrive to which you are logging onto. If you're using roaming profiles that are stored on the domain controller, then the profile isn't stored on your hard drive; well it is but it updates to the server where the roaming profile is being configured to upload to. Basically, this means if you're using a local profile and you go to a new workstation or use someone elses workstation to log on, you'll get a brand new profile. If you're using a roaming profile, if you were to get a new computer or you were to go log onto someone else's workstation, it will download your profile from the server which hosts your roaming profile.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    As far as I am aware a roaming profile is stored on both the server and workstation. Whaen any workstation logs on with a username that is configured for roaming profiles, the most upto date profile is copied from the server on to that workstation.

This allows laptop users to disconnect from the network, but still have their current profile available for remote log on use.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    The roaming user profile if declared is store on a DC with file server color.

It is not stored on the workstation by default .

When a user from a workstation log's on the domain ( and has romaing profile configure ) , if DC and those user's files are found on the DC they're be downloaded to the workstation ( securized ).AT the end when log-off the roaming proifile on the server will be updated..

Hope you got the idea.. icon_cool.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent.

Thank you very much.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    roaming profiles are stored on DC but are cached to a workstation when a user logs on, there is also a group policey setting where you can delete cached copies of the profile from the workstation for secruity reasons
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I was going to say that a local machine account can't use roaming profiles, but apparently there is a profile field on the profile tab of the local user account to redirect to a server. However, the local account would have to have rights to the share that the UNC points to.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rockstar81 wrote:
    roaming profiles are stored on DC but are cached to a workstation when a user logs on

Not always a DC. It can be any file server. Heck, you configure a user to store their roaming profile to a \\windowsxpmachine\profiles.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks